Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: College

Quote Originally Posted by Fnewman View Post
    Lots of great comments, so I'll add a few based on 50+ years. The engineering program at any major university will be almost all theory, meaning a lot of high-level math and theory related to many of the various electrical engineering fields. After all, they only have so much time and neither you or they know whether you will end up designing computer chips or cell tower antennas, just to name two possibilities. For sure, you are not likely to see any courses about codes, motor control circuits, etc. For me, the best combination was a co-op program at a great university so that I ended up with a therotical understanding, along with some really good practical connections to the real world via my industrial job.
    They also don't know if you are going to take a job making donuts at the coffee shop

One of my son's best friends from high school went to college and studied civil engineering. He is now an assistant manager at a big box store.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnewman View Post
    Lots of great comments, so I'll add a few based on 50+ years. The engineering program at any major university will be almost all theory, meaning a lot of high-level math and theory related to many of the various electrical engineering fields. After all, they only have so much time and neither you or they know whether you will end up designing computer chips or cell tower antennas, just to name two possibilities. For sure, you are not likely to see any courses about codes, motor control circuits, etc. For me, the best combination was a co-op program at a great university so that I ended up with a therotical understanding, along with some really good practical connections to the real world via my industrial job.
    And you could very well find a job waiting for you when you graduate. I was an Engineering Co-Op student, and I did my work semesters at Motorola in their semiconductor sector. When I graduated I went through a perfunctory set of interviews mostly with people I had already worked with, and I had a job for 22 years. Engineering Co-Op is great!

Hi
    You should go for the second option Electrical engineer technology. More usefull and you should be able to find job easy .

Quote Originally Posted by stevieNyb4 View Post
    Hi
    You should go for the second option Electrical engineer technology. More usefull and you should be able to find job easy .
    My advice in general is to study the hardest thing you are interested in and that you think you can handle; for me that was EE.

During the recession
    At its worst in September 2009, the unemployment rate for engineers reached 6.4 percent, versus nearly 10 percent for all occupations. By the middle of 2011 it had dropped to under 2 percent.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    They also don't know if you are going to take a job making donuts at the coffee shop

One of my son's best friends from high school went to college and studied civil engineering. He is now an assistant manager at a big box store.
    Isn't that the way it goes sometimes............
    My eldest got an honours degree in neuroscience. She is now a project engineer at a nuclear processing plant.
    The second did a masters in biology - and is tech support for a communications company.
    My son was the black sheep. He was idle with his school studies and didn't make it to university. He is now a successful computer games developer/programmer. He done good

Funny old world...........
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Does your dog hold any advanced degrees or competency certificates?
    Is he gainfully employed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    During the recession
    At its worst in September 2009, the unemployment rate for engineers reached 6.4 percent, versus nearly 10 percent for all occupations. By the middle of 2011 it had dropped to under 2 percent.
    In 2009 it seemed to me like most of those unemployed engineers were here in Austin. I was one of them.

But I bounced back faster than many folks did.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    In 2009 it seemed to me like most of those unemployed engineers were here in Austin. I was one of them.

But I bounced back faster than many folks did.
    I was lucky, never been without gainful employment
    in fact from 2008-2011 I made more (by an integral factor) than I ever did previously to that
    it's one reason I can work in government now lol

my advice: do not go into engineering (or any profession) for the $$$, do it because you like it
    you will be doing it for a long time and it will be a major part of your life

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post

my advice: do not go into engineering (or any profession) for the $$$, do it because you like it
    you will be doing it for a long time and it will be a major part of your life
    My advice is that both the money and the love of the work are considerations that should be taken into account. Some areas of study will not equip you for a job that will pay you enough to enable you to pay off your student loans.