Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: College

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    My advice is that both the money and the love of the work are considerations that should be taken into account. Some areas of study will not equip you for a job that will pay you enough to enable you to pay off your student loans.
    It's a toss up
    be miserable because you owe money or don't have excess
    be miserable spending your life doing something you dred
    pick your poison and priorities lol

I avoided big loan debt via rotc and national defense student loans plus part time/summer jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    It's a toss up
    be miserable because you owe money or don't have excess
    be miserable spending your life doing something you dred
    pick your poison and priorities
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. Thank goodness, I will add.

One should consider both economics and enjoyability of life's work. If it looks like one alternative is economically good but experientially bad and the other is the reverse, look for a third alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. Thank goodness, I will add.

One should consider both economics and enjoyability of life's work. If it looks like one alternative is economically good but experientially bad and the other is the reverse, look for a third alternative.
    life is a compromise
    And there are no absolutes
    I don't like telling others what they should do (my kids excepted lol)

judging from the sheer number of folks being unfaithful, on meds, screwing the pooch at work, or anger at the system in general, the optimum compromise seems elusive for some
    just like happiness
    and in my case happiness was a learned skill

I'm lucky I drifted towards something I like, am competent at, and is relatively financially secure/rewarding
    money was never the focus, or an after thought really, it just sort of was a consequence, unintended by-product or fall-out of my choices
    never focused on it until my 40's when my wife got sick
    wanted her not to worry about it
    so got money hungry for 10 years and chased the dragon and made as much as I could
    glad that phase is over lol
    Last edited by Ingenieur; 03-11-17 at 03:46 PM.

An American college degree is toilet paper unless it's science, engineering, medicine or finance.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    An American college degree is toilet paper unless it's science, engineering, medicine or finance.

Aren't these most of the degrees people get nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by chris1971 View Post
    Aren't these most of the degrees people get nowadays?
    you can work in any area without a degree, but education, medicine and law are the ones that don't let you go very far without meeting certain education requirements. Engineering - you maybe can't hold an official title of engineer without the proper credentials, but there are many designing things out there that don't officially hold that title.

There are people that practice medicine in some fashion or another that are not full fledged "doctors" either.

I suggest to take electrical engineering technology is best.

Introduction

Hello everyone
    I am new here.I am an educator and content writer. now i started in the electrical industry.
    best regards
    steve smith

170419-2237 EDT

When I was a student and working part time for the EE department the director of our group, the Electronics Defense Group, ask me if a student could work for me. This student had no prior electrical experience, and was mostly getting theory in class and had gone to his advisor and said that he did not know if EE was for him. So to help him make the decision they wanted him to work part time (part time for us was 4 hours per day) where he could see real world electrical engineering. He came to work for me and that experience convinced him to stay in EE. His grade average was probably in the B+ range.

Our University is one of the great ones in the world and the US. WE have a huge research budget, to a great extent in medical, but also very high in engineering. Last year the total was 1.33 billion dollars. Of this 250 million was in engineering. Thus, there are a lot of opportunities for part time jobs, and contact with real world projects.

It is my belief that any student should get practical experience in their field while a student.

170419-2333 EDT

Following is a link to research spending at various universities. If you add all the California schools together, then their total exceeds any others. This list is useful for judging what schools may have a good supply of part time jobs related one's interest.

http://www.bestcolleges.com/features...-expenditures/