UL classified

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbcove

How does "UL Classified" label fit into the approved third party certification. I am looking at some self ballasted LED replacement lamps for T8. These are made by Jiangsu sino opto co. Model #SN-T8-8. The UL label shown on their web site looks questionable to me. It seems there are several variations of the 18 plus UL labels and then a few other organizations that are also possibly acceptacle. Our state statutes reference ANSI Z-34.1. This also confuses me because I can't seem to find a list they publish for acceptable labeling. Can some one help me with this?

fmtjfw

How does "UL Classified" label fit into the approved third party certification. I am looking at some self ballasted LED replacement lamps for T8. These are made by Jiangsu sino opto co. Model #SN-T8-8. The UL label shown on their web site looks questionable to me. It seems there are several variations of the 18 plus UL labels and then a few other organizations that are also possibly acceptacle. Our state statutes reference ANSI Z-34.1. This also confuses me because I can't seem to find a list they publish for acceptable labeling. Can some one help me with this?

See pages 38 and 39 of the 2013 White Book.It appears that the "classified" mark is not as comprehensive as the "listed" mark.

fmtjfw

This might be a better explanation: http://www.cablinginstall.com/articles/2012/08/ul-listed-classified-and-verified-marks-explained.html

thumbcove

still unsure

still unsure

Thank you for the reply. I have seen most of the material you referenced. I still don't feel good about the products I referened that have the classified label. Can the AHJ reject these on the basis of this label? A local guy is pushing these LED tubes and so far we have refused to install them. I think the UL label may be counterfit and the process of removing the ballast and wiring the 120 volts to the lamp holders also concerns me. I have sent my concerns about the label to UL.

fmtjfw

Thank you for the reply. I have seen most of the material you referenced. I still don't feel good about the products I referened that have the classified label. Can the AHJ reject these on the basis of this label? A local guy is pushing these LED tubes and so far we have refused to install them. I think the UL label may be counterfit and the process of removing the ballast and wiring the 120 volts to the lamp holders also concerns me. I have sent my concerns about the label to UL.

Ask the AHJ if he will accept "classified" as equivalent to "listed".

410.6 Listing Required. All luminaires, lampholders, and retrofit kits shall be listed.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UL specifically addresses lighting retrofit kits and what UL Classified means in that case. In a nutshell, it means the kits have been evaluated as to their suitability for retrofitting into a previously LISTED fixture. The purpose behind this was to avoid having people buy cheap unlisted fixtures, or make their own, then use these kits to get around the listing process. So they can ONLY be used as retrofit kits, hence they are classified, not listed. If it said "Listed", it would have to include all of the other parts of the fixture, because that is part of the fixture listing process. It's similar to the UR "Recognized Component" issue in that it must be part of someting else to be used, but unlike the UR labeling, it can be done in the field. So the UL Classified issue is fine, in fact it is required.
http://ul.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ul_LumenaireRetrofits.pdf

That however does not preclude the possibility of a counterfeit mark. You can go onto UL.com to verify the file number however, and if they dont show or will not provide their file number and the exact name of the company it is listed under and how that relates to the company name on the product if not the same (another problem with Chinese counterfeiters), I'd be very very suspicious.

fmtjfw

UL specifically addresses lighting retrofit kits and what UL Classified means in that case. In a nutshell, it means the kits have been evaluated as to their suitability for retrofitting into a previously LISTED fixture. The purpose behind this was to avoid having people buy cheap unlisted fixtures, or make their own, then use these kits to get around the listing process. So they can ONLY be used as retrofit kits, hence they are classified, not listed. If it said "Listed", it would have to include all of the other parts of the fixture, because that is part of the fixture listing process. It's similar to the UR "Recognized Component" issue in that it must be part of someting else to be used, but unlike the UR labeling, it can be done in the field. So the UL Classified issue is fine, in fact it is required.

That however does not preclude the possibility of a counterfeit mark. You can go onto UL.com to verify the file number however, and if they dont show or will not provide their file number and the exact name of the company it is listed under and how that relates to the company name on the product if not the same (another problem with Chinese counterfeiters), I'd be very very suspicious.

Thanks, I've learned something today.

sandsnow

Good explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.