Grounding Cold Water & Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer

When grounding the nearest cold water and gas, can you do it in one run? Or do you need to hit the cold water and gas on a separate run?

When grounding the nearest cold water and gas, can you do it in one run? Or do you need to hit the cold water and gas on a separate run?

The short answer is you can continue from one grounding electrode to the next with the same conductor, or even another separate clamp and bonding jumper from the first to the next. Note that in most cases the gas piping does not require any bonding. The exception is if you are doing so to follow CSST instructions, but even then i dont really see that as the electricians responsibility. Also note that bonding a metal piping system and using an underground metal water pipe as a grounding electrode are two different things.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just try to run your wire without making the first pipe part of the path.
That is, do not run your first wire to a clamp in the pipe and then picking the second wire at another clamp five feet down the pipe. I think that is allowed for bonding jumpers but not for GECs, but it is still a confusing method.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

You can do it in one run but generally speaking the gas is bonded thru the egc of the circuit associated with any equipment that has gas- ie, a gas furnace. In that case there is no need to use the gec for the gas line.

iwire

Staff member

You don't have to do anything at all with the gas pipe.

The NEC allows the EGC of the circuit likely to energize the gas pipe to bond it.

In other words the EGC of say the furnace circuit can bond the gas line supplying the furnace.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Agreed Csst is a different animal however the standard black iron pipe for gas may be bonded using the equipment grounding conductor. Look at 250.104(B)

Locally, I am required to run #6 to bond gas piping.

What type of gas pipe, CSST? Normal black pipe requires nothing more than what has been mentioned above.

Black Iron

Agreed Csst is a different animal however the standard black iron pipe for gas may be bonded using the equipment grounding conductor. Look at 250.104(B)

No argument from me, but I don't inspect, I install.

Says who and is it actually required or a inspector who doesn't know his stuff? I have inspectors require that all the time even though it is not in any codified local amendment

Third party inspection agencies in these parts. Every inspection agency requires the same thing......bonding of gas line whether its CSST or Iron. I don't remember if the requirement is coming from POCO or through a NYS chapter of IAEI, but I can assure you every inspection agency providing services in the area is on the same page and requiring the #6 bond.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Black Iron

Third party inspection agencies in these parts. Every inspection agency requires the same thing......bonding of gas line whether its CSST or Iron. I don't remember if the requirement is coming from POCO or through a NYS chapter of IAEI, but I can assure you every inspection agency providing services in the area is on the same page and requiring the #6 bond.

Based on this information they're requiring something that is not in the NEC. Given this is NYS I'm not surprised. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.