Neutral in 480 panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie4now

We want to connect a piece of equipment to a 480 panel. The equipment needs a neutral as a reference. Since there is no neutral in the panel can we just pull a new neutral to the panel sized for our equipment? The equipment only needs a #12 neutral.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as the neutral you add with the feeders, check 215.2.
It needs to be no smaller than the EGC would be.

iwire

Staff member
We want to connect a piece of equipment to a 480 panel. The equipment needs a neutral as a reference. Since there is no neutral in the panel can we just pull a new neutral to the panel sized for our equipment? The equipment only needs a #12 neutral.

Yes and no.

It does not have to be full sized but it must be at least as big as the code required equipment grounding conductor and it has to run in the same conduit as the rest of the feeders.

rookie4now

Got it. Does the neutral have to be landed in the panel or can it run through. I seem to recall that it has to land in the panel.

kwired

Electron manager
Got it. Does the neutral have to be landed in the panel or can it run through. I seem to recall that it has to land in the panel.

For service equipment the grounded conductor must be either opened by the service disconnecting means or be able to be disconnected from the supply by other means - typically by being able to remove it from a lug or bus. (see 230.75 for this requirement)

For feeders, there is no requirement to be able to disconnect the grounded conductor from the supply that I am aware of and another question that comes up is how can you be required to land a conductor that isn't necessarily required to be there in the first place? Based on that I'd say pulling it through unspliced should be acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
Acceptable... but may be excessive if all he needs is a #12.
If the feeder requires something larger then 12 yes.

It doesn't have to be unspliced and it doesn't need to land on a neutral bus, could just be wire nutted or some other free floating style connection device, like a Polaris tap should a change in size be desired between feeder and branch circuit.

iwire

Staff member
kwired;161448. If the feeder requires something larger then 12 yes. [/QUOTE said:
Don't you think that is a given?

I kind of doubt the OP is adding load to existing 480 volt panel
with a 20 amp feeder

rookie4now

For service equipment the grounded conductor must be either opened by the service disconnecting means or be able to be disconnected from the supply by other means - typically by being able to remove it from a lug or bus. (see 230.75 for this requirement)

For feeders, there is no requirement to be able to disconnect the grounded conductor from the supply that I am aware of and another question that comes up is how can you be required to land a conductor that isn't necessarily required to be there in the first place? Based on that I'd say pulling it through unspliced should be acceptable.

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.