GFI Within 6 feet of a Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
210.8(B)(5) Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

There always seems to be a debate in the office and the code doesn't appear to help with the diagrams they show. Is it 6 feet on the same height as the sink (like a pantry counter) or is it regardless of height (like the microwave on the shelving above it)?

iwire

Staff member
If you were in MA they tried to address this.

210.8(A)(7). Revise to read as follows:
(7) Sinks - for other than kitchens as covered in 210.8(A)(6), where receptacles are installed
within 1.8 m (6 feet), measured horizontally, of the outside edge of the sink.

210.8(B)(5). Revise to read as follows:
(5) Sinks - where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 feet), measured horizontally, of the
outside edge of the sink.

jumper

I am not sure I like that amendment Bob, a strict interpretation of that could mean that any receptacle above or below that horizontal plane would not require GFCI protection.

That could include most if not all countertop receptacles.

iwire

Staff member
I am not sure I like that amendment Bob, a strict interpretation of that could mean that any receptacle above or below that horizontal plane would not require GFCI protection.

That could include most if not all countertop receptacles.

Our inspectors don't work like that. :D I am sure many still enforce it in a 6' radius, through walls floor and ceilings. :p

kwired

Electron manager
210.8(B)(5) Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

There always seems to be a debate in the office and the code doesn't appear to help with the diagrams they show. Is it 6 feet on the same height as the sink (like a pantry counter) or is it regardless of height (like the microwave on the shelving above it)?
I believe this section is causing most places to say that a cord and plug connected disposer under the sink would require GFCI protection, which if that is the interpretation kind of means if a six foot cord can reach the sink from any direction then GFCI protection is necessary. Many also interpret it to mean if you had a receptacle located on the back wall (say facing toward a living room or other space) of an island or peninsula that contains a sink - that GFCI is likely needed for that receptacle as well.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I believe this section is causing most places to say that a cord and plug connected disposer under the sink would require GFCI protection. . . .
Well yea! After all, what would happen if that disposer were to accidently fall into the sink! :slaphead:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I call it in a six foot radius in the same room. If they had meant something different they would have said so, such as counter tops in residential kitchens. Wet bar sinks are called the same way, usually. I think it keeps you from touching the sink and the microwave or the refer at the same time in a small area.

JDB3

I call it in a six foot radius in the same room. If they had meant something different they would have said so, such as counter tops in residential kitchens. Wet bar sinks are called the same way, usually. I think it keeps you from touching the sink and the microwave or the refer at the same time in a small area.

If the above would be the case, then in a small kitchen, although the receptacle for the refrigerator would be over 6 feet away, but you could touch the refrigerator itself (from the edge of the sink), then the refrigerator would need to be GFCI protected ? :?

Tooooo much interpretation could be put into this. :eek:hmy:

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think it keeps you from touching the sink and the microwave or the refer at the same time in a small area.
Although I have no facts to offer to support my belief, my belief is that the reason for the 6-foot rule is to prevent a shock in the event that a portable appliance gets dropped into a sink full of water while still plugged in.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If the above would be the case, then in a small kitchen, although the receptacle for the refrigerator would be over 6 feet away, but you could touch the refrigerator itself (from the edge of the sink), then the refrigerator would need to be GFCI protected ? :?

Tooooo much interpretation could be put into this. :eek:hmy:
Well don't give the code making panel any ideas. Soon it might just say that all receptacles in a residential kitchen shall be GFCI protected. Why do you think it says that about commercial kitchens?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well don't give the code making panel any ideas. Soon it might just say that all receptacles in a residential kitchen shall be GFCI protected. Why do you think it says that about commercial kitchens?
Because the appliances in commercial kitchens all have longer cords so that they can fall into more distant sinks?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I thought it was because commercial kitchens often get cleaned by being hosed down.
If that were the case then we would also be putting in-use covers on the receptacles. It's more because of the wet, stainless steel working surfaces. Also why are all of the appliances put on a GFCI also? Simply because they can be a hazard too, and that's why the amount of leakage to ground is limited. You have to look at the bigger picture sometimes. Or put in for a code change, but my guess is that no one will go for one that makes things less safe.

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI doesn't keep you from touching said items at same time, a short arm span might though :happyyes:

I thought it was because commercial kitchens often get cleaned by being hosed down.
I kind of recall an electrocution from a refrigerator in a commercial kitchen being at least part of the cause of getting NEC to mandate all 15/20 amp 120 volt receptacles in commercial kitchens to have GFCI protection.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
GFCI doesn't keep you from touching said items at same time, a short arm span might though :happyyes:

I kind of recall an electrocution from a refrigerator in a commercial kitchen being at least part of the cause of getting NEC to mandate all 15/20 amp 120 volt receptacles in commercial kitchens to have GFCI protection.
Sorry should have worded that different. The smarter guys knew what I meant.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.