Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another ampacity question

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    The subject of 110.14(C) is the equipment operating temperature limit (i.e. rating). You can use the terminal temperature rating as a guide, but if the equipment temperature limitation, i.e. its maximum operating temperature, you have to use the equipment temperature limitation.

I don't have any of those receptacles on hand, but even if they are marked as having 75°C terminals, you still could only use the 60°C conductor rating. I have a sneaking suspicion the Leviton model is not the only model, or make for that matter, with 60°C maximum operating temperature rating.
    Makes sense, so if the information said maximum 75° C you would assume that the terminals had a 75 degree rating?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Makes sense, so if the information said maximum 75° C you would assume that the terminals had a 75 degree rating?
    I rather ascertain the terminals were rated 75°C than assume... but if the terminal temperature rating was not obvious or otherwise easy to verify, yes I would assume so.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    That's a good question. The reference was the only reference to temperature that I found on that product datasheet, although it probably refers to ambient temperature for safe operation, and has nothing to do with 110.14(C) or 310.15(B)(16).

Due to omission of the product sheet specifying NEC temperature ratings of terminals, we have to assume 60C terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    That's a good question. The reference was the only reference to temperature that I found on that product datasheet, although it probably refers to ambient temperature for safe operation, and has nothing to do with 110.14(C) or 310.15(B)(16).

Due to omission of the product sheet specifying NEC temperature ratings of terminals, we have to assume 60C terminals.
    Operating temperature [range] does address the safe operating temperature of the equipment... the true significance of 110.14(C).
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.