minimum distance off floor for duplex recepticle

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

i'm wiring a glass conservatory w/ aluminum channel off floor. They'll be tile on the floor, but may become wet. I'de rather install the outlets on that channel instead of using floor boxes. What's the minimum distance an outlet can be off the floor in a residential room addition? If I use floor outlets, I'de probably put them on GFI. I'de Rather not. At least w/ an outlet mounted on the channel, it should stay dry.

HR..,.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
To be counted as the general purpose receptacles: for dwelling the minimum is on the floor and the maximum is 5'6" AFF.

ron

jumper

Check out Section 4.27.3. It states that electrical and communications system receptacles on walls shall be mounted no less than 15" above floor. The maximum height for receptacles and/or switches is between 48 and 54 inches, depending on the conditions, see Section 4.2.5 and 4.2.6 of the ADA.
http://www.access-board.gov/guideli...about-the-ada-standards/background/adaag#4.27

Yes, I understand ADA rules, but they would not apply to a dwelling unit unless it was an apt or dwelling that required it.

howardrichman

To be counted as the general purpose receptacles: for dwelling the minimum is on the floor and the maximum is 5'6" AFF.

I thought there was a restriction. Couldn't find it in ART 210-50-52 So it should be permissible in a one family dwelling to install these outlets in a plastic mould box bolted against those aluminum (glass frames), resting on the tile floor?

HR... Thanks for reply;

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
I have put many a receptacle in the baseboard of renovated houses and apartments with no issue from the inspectors.

In a townhouse with fire rated walls, the "wall" receptacles are in the floor so not to disturb the sheetrock fire rating. At least that was a common practice 30 years ago...

Personally I like them higher, like 20 inches, since I am getting older!:D

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
i'm wiring a glass conservatory w/ aluminum channel off floor. They'll be tile on the floor, but may become wet. I'de rather install the outlets on that channel instead of using floor boxes. What's the minimum distance an outlet can be off the floor in a residential room addition? If I use floor outlets, I'de probably put them on GFI. I'de Rather not. At least w/ an outlet mounted on the channel, it should stay dry.

HR..,.

How would the tile become wet? If it is exposed to outdoors then you will not find a floor outlet that would be compliant. The cover would have to be rated for wet location when it is utilized

howardrichman

I have put many a receptacle in the baseboard of renovated houses and apartments with no issue from the inspectors.

In a townhouse with fire rated walls, the "wall" receptacles are in the floor so not to disturb the sheetrock fire rating. At least that was a common practice 30 years ago...

Personally I like them higher, like 20 inches, since I am getting older!:D

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

The owners may put plant there and watering them, some water may spill, that all

HR...

John120/240

Claw hammer high. Set the hammer head on the floor & the box sets on top of the handle. Make sure that one guy does all of the down low receptacles or it really looks stupid.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
The owners may put plant there and watering them, some water may spill, that all

HR...

@howardrichman

Well let's just say this. My wife can't pour a bucket of water without spilling it on the floor but with that said it does not create a situation where GFCI is required or a wet location that would need anything other than a listed floor box application.

With that said you can (at your choosing) indeed place the receptacles in the channel as long as you do so properly. The problem with your original post is that you simply said "glass conservatory" which does not typically sound like it belongs in a "dwelling" which is why you received the ADA information and so on. Clarity is king on this forum, if you do not post a clear question you are going to get ALOT of unclear responses.

Listed floor boxes are designed to prevent water infiltration (not prohibit it, if the caps are left off or open) but if the space is enclosed and the worry is that my wife will spill some water on the receptacle, I would just move the plant away from the receptacle....solves that.

Status
Not open for further replies.