Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: PG&E on the warpath

Quote Originally Posted by electricguy61 View Post
    Just an update:

It's now almost 48 hours for the customer with no power. I thought I'd made some progress yesterday about 12pm, got through to a sympathetic senior person. Call the emergency number last night, wait on hold 4 different times, total of 1.5 hrs, to be told that it had been scheduled for 2pm, but had notes said "customer cancelled". Obviously no one had cancelled. The call center finally figured out that all "routine calls" had been cancelled because of "on going weather related emergencies". Mind you, the storms didn't start until late last night in the north bay, still haven't hit here, so there were no storm related emergencies, but the t-man was cancelled.

Because of "weather related emergencies", they could not schedule it today, but it is scheduled for sometime between 8am and 5pm tomorrow, which will mean the customer has been without power for 72+ hours. Unless of course, there are in fact "weather related emergencies", which will mean they'll get cancelled again.

Everyone I have spoken to has been great, very sympathetic and have tried hard to get it repaired. It is the Corporation, the "powers that be" that have created this situation. And they really don't care.
    What do you think would happen if you just hooked it back up?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    What do you think would happen if you just hooked it back up?
    That's what I'd do. Apologize later.

SceneryDriver

Quote Originally Posted by SceneryDriver View Post
    That's what I'd do. Apologize later.

SceneryDriver
    With smart meters containing remotely activated disconnect contactors (not adequate for lockout), it is quite possible that PG&E would just cut the power off anyway unless you bypassed the meter. And doing that would really make them mad.

mobile

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    With smart meters containing remotely activated disconnect contactors (not adequate for lockout), it is quite possible that PG&E would just cut the power off anyway unless you bypassed the meter. And doing that would really make them mad.

mobile
    What, madder than they are now? The customer already doesn't have power. What are they going to do, demand the customer provide power as punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    What, madder than they are now? The customer already doesn't have power. What are they going to do, demand the customer provide power as punishment?
    I had a similar run-in with the gas company. We came home from a two week vacation in the Caribbean, travel weary, hungry, sweaty, and with lots of dirty laundry. We found the gas turned off for non-payment and a lock on the valve at the meter. My wife had paid the bill before we left, so we called the gas company, and after a bit of stonewalling, they finally admitted that the gas had been turned off in error. They said that they would be happy to send someone out to turn it back on sometime on Tuesday (this was Friday).

Not acceptable. I told the person on the line that if they didn't send someone out post haste that I would cut their lock off and turn it back on myself. She got huffy and told me that the earliest they could roll a truck to my house would be on Tuesday and that if I turned the gas on myself I would be breaking the law. I told her that she might as well call the police right now because I was headed out to cut their lock, and I hung up. I cut the lock, turned the gas on, and lit my pilot lights myself, so soon we had hot water and a working stove, and there was peace in the valley.

The police did not show up and I never heard another word about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I was addressing the more general case of doing the work from start to finish without the cooperation of PG&E, not your case, which I agree could not really get worse.
    Well, I suppose they could simply refuse to provide service at all for a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    I was addressing the more general case of doing the work from start to finish without the cooperation of PG&E, not your case, which I agree could not really get worse.
    Well, I suppose they could simply refuse to provide service at all for a month or two.
    With no credits for monthly service fees for the days with "no service" on top of it, maybe even a reconnect fee gets tacked on.

They know there is literally no other choice for utility provided power.

After hearing this horror story, I'm glad National Grid lets us do everything. It sure makes it easier not having to schedule everything with them.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    After hearing this horror story, I'm glad National Grid lets us do everything. It sure makes it easier not having to schedule everything with them.
    Everything?
    Don't like where the transformer is located so you can move it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Everything?
    Don't like where the transformer is located so you can move it as well?
    Well to be honest, I'm sure if we did it, the linemen wouldn't complain.