Gfci breaker coiled wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkansas74

I was told years ago that the coiled wire needed to stay coiled but I know some will straighten the wire out. Does it hurt to straighten it out or should it stay coiled?

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I was told years ago that the coiled wire needed to stay could but I know some will straighten the wire out. Does it hurt to straighten it out or should it stay coiled?

You can straighten it out. It is coiled simply for convenience in packaging.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Jim and in my experience I have seen it where you need every inch of the stretched out conductor to reach the neutral bar.

electricalist

On the other hand the coiled leads on SPDs must be completely uncoiled and should be cut to length.
Im glad you said that. I ve always despised the coiled wire and cut it to length out of spite. Makes the panel look like a chaos. I d say im either doing the right thing for the wrong reason or the wrong thing for the right reason. Im cutting it.

kwired

Electron manager
What you don't want is to place a iron core in that coil, nail or screw will do, it will create an inductor and it will be in series in your circuit.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What you don't want is to place a iron core in that coil, nail or screw will do, it will create an inductor and it will be in series in your circuit.

I will have to try that experiment and see what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.