Thread: Accessible (as applies to wiring methods)

Accessible (as applies to wiring methods)

I am trying to determine what would be the minimum accessible area that should be available to access junction boxes. A standard single gang entry is about 6 square inches.

New LED light access plates provide and 1.5 inch square hole cover plate that fits on a standard 4 square. They then recommend to cover the box with 3/16 mud so that only the 1.5" square hole is accessible.

Are there any standards, seems to me to get splices, wire nuts or repairs done might end up violating the Definition under article 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 122558 View Post
    I am trying to determine what would be the minimum accessible area that should be available to access junction boxes. A standard single gang entry is about 6 square inches.

New LED light access plates provide and 1.5 inch square hole cover plate that fits on a standard 4 square. They then recommend to cover the box with 3/16 mud so that only the 1.5" square hole is accessible.

Are there any standards, seems to me to get splices, wire nuts or repairs done might end up violating the Definition under article 100.
    Welcome to the forum.

I guess I would consider that to be accessible, but your AHJ will have the final say. It would suck to try to service the wires through that, but you technically could. It's kind of like mounting a junction box up in a sheetrocked ceiling next to a recessed can. You can technically access the box by removing the can, but it's not gonna be fun to work on through a 6" hole.

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of
    being removed or exposed without damaging the building
    structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure
    or finish of the building.
    Is a "light access plate" part of a wiring method that requires it be accessible?

I would suggest there are not all that many wiring methods that would meet that definition of accessible. Think about NM. It is typically buried inside a wall. if the wiring method does not require it to be accessible, it is not required IMO. Article 100 does not provide any requirements, only definitions.

Look at this requirement.

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures
    to Be Accessible. Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole
    enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained
    in them can be rendered accessible without removing
    any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without
    excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that
    is to be used to establish the finished grade.
    It specifically states only the wiring is required to be accessible. Not the box or the cover.
    Bob

He's more or less dealing with a 3/16 plaster ring with a 1.5 x 1.5 inch opening.

Seems awful small, but, when I draw it out on paper, I can say that I've made up connections and shoved them back in the box with much less of an opening.

Jap>

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.

Unless there is something I am not understanding I don't see how this is any different than any other single gang mud ring on a 1900 box.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Unless there is something I am not understanding I don't see how this is any different than any other single gang mud ring on a 1900 box.
    From what I'm gathering the opening is roughly about 1/2 of what a standard single gang mud ring would be.

Jap>