Is it an NEC requirement to bond an EMT raceway carrying fiberoptic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I see in art. 770.110(A)(1) that you can use any method of raceways specified in Chapter 3 and the raceways must be installed in accordance with Chapter 3. IMO that means they raceways must be connected to the grounding system of the building. Of course I have never worked with fiber optic so it is just my interpretation

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
First , and this scares me, I agree with the Old Man Moderator.

In 770.3 it makes reference back to compliance with other Articles and Sections 770.110 Raceways for Communication Wires and Cables Chapter 3 applies for permitted raceways and their installation ,Article 250 applies for the grounding and bonding or raceways with all of Chapter 3 being included for raceways.

The good news is EMT is listed in 250.118 as a EGC and the note 1 of the definition reminds us that the EGC serves bonding also so follow the guidance of 300.10 and you are indeed bonding the EMT.

The reference in 770.110(A)(1) is broad, the entire chapter 3 and all references within.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

In 770.3 it makes reference back to compliance with other Articles and Sections 770.110 Raceways for Communication Wires and Cables Chapter 3 applies for permitted raceways and their installation ,Article 250 applies for the grounding and bonding or raceways with all of Chapter 3 being included for raceways.

The good news is EMT is listed in 250.118 as a EGC and the note 1 of the definition reminds us that the EGC serves bonding also so follow the guidance of 300.10 and you are indeed bonding the EMT.

The reference in 770.110(A)(1) is broad, the entire chapter 3 and all references within.

Agree with you on 250.118 that EMT can be used as an EGC. However, if in OP installation none of his equipment is connected to an EGC then the EMT is no use. So, first an EGC has to be available in his installation then he can count on the EMT as an equipment grounding conductor

iwire

Staff member
I see in art. 770.110(A)(1) that you can use any method of raceways specified in Chapter 3 and the raceways must be installed in accordance with Chapter 3. IMO that means they raceways must be connected to the grounding system of the building.

Grounding requirements are in Chapter 2.

iwire

Staff member

I am not seeing a grounding requirement yet.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the only thing in the EMT is the fiber, any "sheath" use of EMT for mechanical protection is not particularly likely to become energized, which is the other applicable factor for bonding.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How is 770.3 and 770.110(A)(1) not a conflict.
770.3 Other Articles. Installations of optical fiber cables and raceways shall comply with 770.3(A) and (B). Only those sections of Chapter 2 and Article 300 referenced in this article shall apply to optical fiber cables and raceways.
770.110(A)(1) Raceways Recognized in Chapter 3. Optical fiber cables shall be permitted to be installed in any raceway included in Chapter 3. The raceways shall be installed in accordance with
the requirements of Chapter 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.