Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Getting ready to take my state two part exam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    33

    Getting ready to take my state two part exam

    My question is simply that, even if you have worked in the electrical field for 5 consecutive years but have not touched on every electrical system there is, and not exactly sure on the set up of some equipment as far as big 720 delta ungrounded systems, 4" parallel the shut offs needed, etc.

    How is it possible to become state certified electrician???

    Taking big steps in my life trying to make a living for my girls any thoughts on this would be great

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    My question is simply that, even if you have worked in the electrical field for 5 consecutive years but have not touched on every electrical system there is, and not exactly sure on the set up of some equipment as far as big 720 delta ungrounded systems, 4" parallel the shut offs needed, etc.

    How is it possible to become state certified electrician???

    Taking big steps in my life trying to make a living for my girls any thoughts on this would be great
    First it is difficult to talk about licensing unless you say what area you are in. The rules for licensing if required varies greatly by area.

    Secondly no one knows everything, many times the questions on the test are designed to test your ability to find the answer. They don't expect you to remember it all.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    My question is simply that, even if you have worked in the electrical field for 5 consecutive years but have not touched on every electrical system there is, and not exactly sure on the set up of some equipment as far as big 720 delta ungrounded systems, 4" parallel the shut offs needed, etc.

    How is it possible to become state certified electrician???

    If you go to take the test with just the knowledge gained in the field through personal experience you won't stand a chance.

    You have to get the correct materials to study to take the test. It's been a long time and I had not herd of Mike Holt when I took my test but without sample test and study materials I wouldn't have passed.

    I think Mike Holt has some good training materials for sale. Or you can look around.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Secondly no one knows everything...
    I would go further and say there are newly minted EC's who know only 10% of the possible things they could run into. Electrical work is such a wide field, you will never know 100% of it.

    You could spend 30 years doing industrial work and never wire a house (and thus not know the myriad of rules for doing so).

    You could spend 30 years doing commercial work and never touch industrial switch gear or make up a big motor or pull parallel runs of 500's.

    Does every electrician know how to do landscape lighting? (The answer is no.)

    Forums like this are where you get answers to questions about things you've never done in 30 years.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Electric View Post
    ...


    I guess "Doctor Electric" is your future title. Since you haven't passed your test yet, right now you're more like "Intern Electric"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    3,042
    On the exams they don't ask you HOW you do the electrical work. They ask you questions on the NEC, basic math problems, basic algebra, electrical theory and problem solving skills and common sense

    I have had guys in my class with 40 years experience but could not use a code book or knew how it was set up. At the other end 1st year electricians with minimum field experience but knew about the code, about basic theory...

    IMO, you need to know your theory, math, problem solving skills, know how the code book is set up and to navigate it efficiently.

    Good luck.
    Edward
    The only thing I know, is the progressive discovery of my ignorance


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •