Trivia question for shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexTech

Can a 4-way switch be used in between 2 3-way switches in this old school concept. I will post pictures of the wire diagram the instructor put up as well as my wire diagram. I would greatly appreciate any feed back and constructive criticism. Also an annotation; we had to re-identify the neutral wire as a traveler.
20141029_171614.jpg 20141028_133758.jpg

Attachments

• 20141028_133758.jpg
    20141028_133758.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

jumper

I assume the power feed is the arrow.

Code now requires a neutral at switch locations, unless you meet the exceptions.

Yeah I can get a 4 way in there given enough conductors, you did not define amount or wiring method.

I assume switches are for lights only and not receptacles.

cadpoint

If the graph paper is your answer, it won't work you switched the neutral.

You need to carry the neutral to every box and in this case to the neutral of each receptacle
un-switched and all the way to lights.

So you'd need another wire between switches... the Hot's and Travelers only carry the circuited power, it'll look different.

I don't know the over-all answer, IE is it allowed.

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the power comes in on the right (blk is power) (blue is neutral). The way I see this, is as soon as the 3way on the right is switch you will have a dead short.

ApexTech

We were provided 9FT of "BX" cable. So I'm guess reroute my neutrals to the switch legs and to the neutral side of my receptacles. Receptacles must stay energized at all times.

jumper

We were provided 9FT of "BX" cable. So I'm guess reroute my neutrals to the switch legs and to the neutral side of my receptacles. Receptacles must stay energized at all times.

BX is slang. Please define cable type (NEC) and amount of conductors.

I cannot really comment on how you wired it unless you draw it out.

Your above description is confusing to me.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

I don't see how this will work if all you have is 2 conductor OR 3 conductor cable. You will need a 2 conductor AND 3 conductor cable.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
  1. Do you know how to draw a diagram using two conductor cable just for the receptacles?
  2. Do you know how to draw a diagram using three conductor cable just for the 3 way and the 4 way?

If you answer yes to both, then do them separately and then add one over the other drawing.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't see how this will work if all you have is 2 conductor OR 3 conductor cable. You will need a 2 conductor AND 3 conductor cable.

I take it back. It will work with (2) two conductor cable.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I wish the picture showed the entire diagram on the board that the inspector drew. I might be able to tell from it. But the OP's drawing makes no sense to me.

With that said, it sounds like the instructor might be talking about a "Carter 3-way" or a "traveling bus 3-way", then throwing in a 4-way switch between the 3-ways.

ronaldrc

If your diagram is using the traveler terminals to switch between two conductors
then yes it would have to work. All you need to do is feed the fourway switch from
the traveler end of either threeway switch. or wire the fourway between your traveler
terminals of either threeway:)

Last edited:

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If your diagram is using the traveler terminals to switch between two conductors
then yes it would have to work. All you need to do is feed the fourway switch from
the traveler end of either threeway switch. or wire the fourway between your traveler
terminals of either threeway:)
In his drawing, the hot (blue) and neutral (black) come in from the right side. He's got the hot on the 3-way common terminal, and the neutral on the 3-way traveler terminal, in the first box.

Flip the switch.....BOOM

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO

Firstly, yet another question that lacks variables. You should always mention the material you have to work with in order to complete the task. These are always somewhat loaded questions because you are privy to the discussion and whats included in the parameters while the others on this forum are not. Not a real good way to foster assistance with questions in the future in my opinion...but to each his own.

I would say since it is not provided, that I would just buy 4 conductor MC Cable that contains a Blk,Blu,Red Wht and Green and I am sure it would work...my solution is buy what you need, don't be forced to work with someone else's shoestring budget, I used to price work to get it done...not rig it to get it done.

Just my thoughs....others have at it.

ronaldrc

In his drawing, the hot (blue) and neutral (black) come in from the right side. He's got the hot on the 3-way common terminal, and the neutral on the 3-way traveler terminal, in the first box.

Flip the switch.....BOOM

Sorry, But I could not make heads or tails out of that drawing. Below is a drawing illustrating what I said
about the 4 way switch.As long as the Threeway is selecting between two conductors no matter the circuit as
long as the circuit works.

3and4waycoastallightswitch_zps889aee38.jpg

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry, But I could not make heads or tails out of that drawing. Below is a drawing illustrating what I said
about the 4 way switch.As long as the Threeway is selecting between two conductors no matter the circuit as

3and4waycoastallightswitch_zps889aee38.jpg
There's a problem with the 4-way diagram. Let's assume that all switches are in the up position, and connect thru the way you've shown.

If you flip the 4-way switch, the hot will connect to the light, and neither 3-way would turn the light off.

ronaldrc

I reposted because of mistake on fourway switch.

3and4waycoastallightswitch_zps17201b9e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.