Thread: Can a 120vac outlet be mounted in its own box "within" a Fire Control Enclosure?

Can a 120vac outlet be mounted in its own box "within" a Fire Control Enclosure?

The 120vac outlet is used to power a low voltage (16vdc) transformer for a seperate, but intergal part of the Fire System.

I'll bite. Per the NEC yes if the receptacle is mounted to a box with the supply cable or conduit brought in through the KO in the side or back of the Fire System panel with a connector or fitting through both the panel and box KO with the locknut inside the receptacle box.

However there may be something in the fire system code that may prohibit this.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by R.Valentine View Post
    The 120vac outlet is used to power a low voltage (16vdc) transformer for a seperate, but intergal part of the Fire System.
    We install a seperate enclsure to house the outlet and transfomer.

Thank you for the reply! I've combed thru both NEC 760 and NFPA 70 and didn't see anything glaring that did or didn't allow it. Space is limited and an extra enclosure (however small) would be tough to place.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    However there may be something in the fire system code that may prohibit this.

If it's a integral part of the fire system, it should be listed for fire and there would be some provision for the plug-in transformer. Try talking to the manufacturer's tech support.

Since the question was asked, I've had two different instances at two seperate sites. In both cases, the Electrical inspector's (State and City) had no issue or questions regarding it.

Thanks for the replies!!