Becoming a better journeyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1971

Hi can anyone tell me if there are any good books out there that help me become better with control wiring? I have been a journeyman for 10yrs now and that is one area that i am not very srtong in.

kwired

Electron manager
Reading is only a start, you do the most learning by practicing it.

Can you connect a (reasonably simple) 3 wire start stop control circuit without having to draw it out or look at a drawing?

Do it enough times and it becomes routine, and throwing an occasional variation at it like multiple start stop stations is still easily done without needing to draw it out.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Make a test stand

Make a test stand

I agree with KWIRED, hands on is best. Read the basics then hook up a 3 wire circuit with a relay ( buttons and relays are not too expensive from Automation direct) then add other things like run/jog. You are now on your way, that is the heart of controls.

edlee

Years ago I took a 1-semester class in Motor Controls at a local technical college near where I live. It was the first class in a longer program of robotics but the first semester covered basics of electro-mechanical relays, controls and ladder diagrams. It was fun, we worked in a lab with relay setups.

It has been invaluable knowledge for me since I didn't learn much about the topic during my apprentice years.

Status
Not open for further replies.