Thread: old AHJ is parochial: how do you spell "Ha*K"?

old AHJ is parochial: how do you spell "Ha*K"?

It's only warranty work.

I used to work for the state where i was the AHJ in fact, because we were public agency.
    The only other authority was my old boss [40yrs on the job].
    The next step up was the Division of the State Architect - where one inspector confided to me [off the record] that
    "since Ronald Regan, public works quality has gone waaaay down"

So now I'm "retired" and working on a job big enough to have three different electrical companies working in the same space.
    its a big commercial job
    one of the big name company has so many deficiencies
    since there are not many city inspectors coming out, they don't seem interested in doing a job well done.
    I assume they know how to do it
    skyscraper hot shots - "out of my walker duct!"

the foreman told me "Temp work is the most hazardous thing we do"
    but the temp work becomes permanent
    he has 480v temp heaters on SO cord out on a big warehouse floor with unqualified operators [engineers with umbrellas to dry =)]

480v 3phase 30kw heaters on 150 foot extension cords - no line of sight - cable ramps - double lugged / overfused with 100a fuses & #6 wire
    questions about the disco for the xfmr & 25' tap rule xfr switches- he had no idea that to consider installing a xfr switch he would have to open one of the main distrib because the xfmr feed was lugged to the 400a buss
    then the little things - no blast suit/ hot work permit, working clearances, exposed flex, heaven forbid grounding bushings or a green wire, LOTO
    The list is very long.
    They say you only find experienced people with arc flash burns because no one else would go in there.
    On most work you find them with their PPE in a bag in the room

In my old job I was the AHJ, along with my boss, but at this job...
    There are certain reasons, I can actually understand them why they don't want to get the work permitted

the customer has mixed feelings, in one way he can see it is not safe and that I am right,
    on the other hand, the other guy is cheaper and tells him "don't worry, I'll make it safe"
    ie he'll strap the so cord to the wall arrrgghh!

So I condemned the work, suggested he let the guy finish his contract [its actually warranty work], and I would give a quote to straighten it out later.
    "A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved."

well he almost followed all my suggestions... I did say to at least put the banana cord in a sleeve
    but what I meant was to sleeve it in plastic and leave the cord out to enter the box with a strain relief.

oh well, I guess this is close enough - at least they labeled like I told them to
    just dont point the cannon at the drapes!

I told the client I would move the discos to have working clearance, hard pipe the heaters to high up on the wall, and build in a stat relay to let it cool down.
    Lets see what they say
    For courtesy, I will have a sign printed that says

GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR THE USE OF HIGH POWER PORTABLE SPACE HEATERS
    Portable electric space heaters are not intended for use as permanent heating appliances. Approved portable electric space heaters are only intended to temporarily supplement an area’s heating needs until a permanent solution can be found to correct the area’s heating problem, or as an authorized emergency use measure when a building’s normal heating system fails. Electric space heaters, when used properly, can provide an additional degree of comfort at such times. Unfortunately, with the use of these heaters comes the increased risk of fire and potential injury. Therefore, it is necessary to establish and maintain strict guidelines for the use of such appliances. User manual for these heaters is available at Reception.

Always keep this heater at least 3 feet away from any combustible materials.
    SHUT DOWN INSTRUCTIONS: Turn thermostat knob to OFF position and wait 3 minutes then turn fan switch to OFF position.
    Always allow the fan to operate for at least 3 minutes when you are finished using the heater element. This will allow the heat to be dissipated from the unit.
    Don't rearrange the heaters. Leave them where they are.
    Turn off portable space heaters at the end of the day
    Do not insert or allow any foreign objects to enter any ventilation or exhaust opening as this may cause an electric shock or fire, or damage to the heater.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170224_022438_000.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	16889

Name:	20170224_131856.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	16890

Name:	20170224_131843.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	16891
    Last edited by wyreman; 02-25-17 at 03:53 AM.

the photos are too small so they photo album link seems to work better
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkuU8mYuf3eEgQHP4HWHiFN2Obmv