GEC Cannot be Green or White

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone ever heard of this from the Chicago electrical code? Read this elsewhere and I'm not sure if this is a legitimate code citation.

Chicago Code 18-27-250.64b.
Grounding Electrode Conductor. A grounding electrode conductor or its enclosure shall be securely fastened to the surface on which it is carried. All grounding electrode conductors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, or electrical metallic tubing, which shall connect directly to the service disconnecting means enclosure and extend continuously to the grounding electrode to which it shall be securely connected by means of an approved clamp.
Raceways for grounding electrode conductors shall not contain other conductors. The outer finish of an insulated grounding electrode conductor need not be identified except that it shall not be white or green. Flexible conduit and armored cable shall be permitted to be used in existing buildings for grounding purposes only where this ground is concealed or a major portion of the ground is concealed. An approved nonferrous metal tag shall be attached to the ground clamp giving warning against its removal.

jumper

I am not at home where I have the Chicago code but it looks real because 18 is the correct chapter and 27 is the correct section in that code and 250.64 is where a GEC code could be.

Edit: Title 18, Chapter 27

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
So it can be any color except green or white?? So it can be Yellow?

And why can't it be green or white?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So it can be any color except green or white?? So it can be Yellow?

And why can't it be green or white?
My guess is so that nobody mistakes it for an EGC or neutral and taps or bonds it or breaks it and inserts a reversible splice.
But it certainly does make it interesting to choose a color. Copper colored comes to mind. :)

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I can't find the article that specifies the color of a GEC. Plenty on ECG's and grounded conductors. I am probably not looking in the right place.

Because you wont find one. The reference to the 200.7 is purely to denote what the grounded conductors are to be identified as.

Nothing in the NEC prevents marking the GEC with green as 250.119 specifically says "green" shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors..but nothing about GEC's...other than where Chicago amends it by local rule.

What I do find interesting is that they mention the raceway to enclose the GEC has to be RMC, IMC or EMT and no mention of the requirements of 250.64(E) for those raceways.

But then again....Chicago also fails to understand the benefits of MC and AC Cable as well...just sayin!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I can't find the article that specifies the color of a GEC. Plenty on ECG's and grounded conductors. I am probably not looking in the right place.

I don't think there is anything that specifies it.

200.7(A) prohibits a white or gray conductor from being used as anything other than a grounded conductor.

250.119 prohibits the use of green insulated conductors for grounded or ungrounded circuit conductors. Nothing about GECs.

So IMO the code prohibits a GEC from being white or gray, but can be any other color.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think there is anything that specifies it.

200.7(A) prohibits a white or gray conductor from being used as anything other than a grounded conductor.

250.119 prohibits the use of green insulated conductors for grounded or ungrounded circuit conductors. Nothing about GECs.

So IMO the code prohibits a GEC from being white or gray, but can be any other color.
I agree, strict application of NEC would prohibit the GEC from being white or green.

I do have an inspector that does ask me to use green tape on GEC's (that are usually just black insulation when this happens). I tell him there is no color requirement for GEC's but can't seem to convince him this.

electricalist

Because you wont find one. The reference to the 200.7 is purely to denote what the grounded conductors are to be identified as.

Nothing in the NEC prevents marking the GEC with green as 250.119 specifically says "green" shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors..but nothing about GEC's...other than where Chicago amends it by local rule.

What I do find interesting is that they mention the raceway to enclose the GEC has to be RMC, IMC or EMT and no mention of the requirements of 250.64(E) for those raceways.

But then again....Chicago also fails to understand the benefits of MC and AC Cable as well...just sayin!

If they had a 1/0 GEC they would need a bonding bushing on both end s of the raceway its in. would they need the 1/0 to run through both bushings or would a jumper from bonding bushing to lug work?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What I do find interesting is that they mention the raceway to enclose the GEC has to be RMC, IMC or EMT and no mention of the requirements of 250.64(E) for those raceways. ...
Probably because in Chicago they understand, that in the real world, the GEC never carries enough current to actually require the bonding that the NEC requires in 250.64(E). The choke effect is not an issue with currents less than a few hundred amps.

kwired

Electron manager
Probably because in Chicago they understand, that in the real world, the GEC never carries enough current to actually require the bonding that the NEC requires in 250.64(E). The choke effect is not an issue with currents less than a few hundred amps.
What is the choke effect when it is carrying current from a lightning event?

I do agree that it is probably not an issue with normal AC current that is present at about any time.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the choke effect when it is carrying current from a lightning event?
Do you really think it makes any difference? The lighting traveled thousands of feet, or even miles through the air which would have a much higher impedance than the "choked" GEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am not at home where I have the Chicago code but it looks real because 18 is the correct chapter and 27 is the correct section in that code and 250.64 is where a GEC code could be.

Edit: Title 18, Chapter 27

Maybe it's just me but the Chi-town prohibition of Green as a GEC is pretty dumb. :roll:

electricalist

There is no color requirement for the grounding electrode conductor (the wire from the service to the ground rods). It is often phase taped green, however green is the required identification for the equipment grounding conductor, which serves a different purpose altogether.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe it's just me but the Chi-town prohibition of Green as a GEC is pretty dumb. :roll:
I think that a number of code cycles ago, we had that discussion here. There were a number of members that said the rules in the NEC prohibited the use of green for the GEC. That was before the current ruling that says green cannot be used for grounded or ungrounded conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.