Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by keith gigabyte View Post
    How do you handle service calls. I have somewhat of a price list for things. Bad gfci replacement.. broken switch replacement..change light fixture..etc
    thats the easy part. Example. Customer calls says all the lights on 1st floor out and a couple outlets. Spend 45 mins tracking down loose connection in outlet behind couch. As I was troubleshooting found 2 bad switches.
    jhow do you handle this?
    Minimum hour/service call. If I find and fix the problem in ten minutes, it's still a full-rate service call, tho I will usually throw in a dollar switch or receptacle in for free whereas it would normally get charged. A LED dimmer or GFCI receptacle is not a freebie.

T&M on larger, more involved calls that may take several hours.

I charge for estimates but credit back half of that if the HO has me do the work.

Lectricbota, you're cheating yourself because for every 5 minute fix you budgeted an hour for, there will be another you budgeted an hour for that took 2. You get paid for what you know and what you do. Resetting a GFCI is getting paid for what you know, having to re-run a circuit because the existing is overloaded is more toward the getting paid for what you do. In the end it all comes out a wash.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    You're cheating yourself.
    If I have to travel an hour to get to the job then yes, I would charge the full amount. If I'm working in my home town and it's for a senior citizen on a fixed income (or really anyone else for that matter), charging the full amount is going to come back and bite you. Yes, I'm out there trying to earn a living but I don't need to make enough to go to Hawaii on every job.

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    If I have to travel an hour to get to the job then yes, I would charge the full amount. If I'm working in my home town and it's for a senior citizen on a fixed income (or really anyone else for that matter), charging the full amount is going to come back and bite you. Yes, I'm out there trying to earn a living but I don't need to make enough to go to Hawaii on every job.
    Unless you start taking service calls in Hawaii?

Here's my take, as one of those pesky commercial building engineers that everyone loves to hate...

Most contractors, at least here in the D.C. Metro area, both resi and commercial, charge a 4 hr. min. which includes travel, which in this area can eat a lot of time. I hear complaints from people all of the time about this, but I understand completely. You also have to have a well-stocked truck to be able to handle most run-of-the mill problems you will encounter. Also provides opportunities to upsell, as long as it's done ethically.
    Mt. Falls, Va.
    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
    A licensed electrically-related individual