Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of attic light

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Don't put them right over the main walkway, then you won't have nearly the chance of bumping into them accidentally. CFL's and LED's won't take the heat as well as an incandescent, but lights in such locations typically don't get hardly any hours on them in the first place. I'd put some incandescent bulbs up there myself, but I am still seeing them in the stores, maybe some of you out there aren't finding them at all?
    I still see incandescents being sold as garage door opener bulbs, and for appliances like ovens.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I still see incandescents being sold as garage door opener bulbs, and for appliances like ovens.
    I recall seeing an end cap display at Menard's recently of incandescent lamps. Don't recall what wattages were there, but pretty sure 60 watt lamps were in there and maybe 75 or 100. I know they were not GE, Phillips, or Sylvania lamps. Probably some lot of lamps they bought from China and when they are gone they are gone. They may buy another lot sometime, though it may not be exactly same thing.

strip, tape, or low profile. maybe decorative type light emitting decorations. you want low watt per feet density. localized brightness is bad given the low height.

There are metal cages for keyless lamp holders, and Leviton makes a nice LED lamp fixture that mounts to a junction box
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

In mine, I installed a couple of porcelain fixtures, the furthest one w/ a pull string switch. They are on the (attached) garage light circuit, so there is no chance of leaving it on when not being used. The CFL bulbs have lasted 2 years now, no problems. They draw so little power I don't mind them being on when the garage lights are on.

In another installation, where garage light power was not as convenient, I installed a porcelain fixture inside the garage w/ a 7 watt bulb that was lit w/ the attic lights were on, because I knew the owner would want to make sure they were out when not in use.

For a basic attic without a floor and maybe an air handler, I install keyless lampholders with incandescent lamps. Yes, you can still buy them.

This stuff is pretty good if you can afford 4" of protrusion and light light distribution is very wide and preferable to thin stuff.
    It can hard wire it it screws into a standard surface mount socket so it ends up like it's flush. It's not undestructible but non-shatterable. Realistically, it ends up matching 100w bulb in a similar fixture since its rated something like 750 or 800 lumen the way it is while a fixture of that type with a bulb is about 50% efficient.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...6241/205890895

With a low ceiling height, you want the lowest lumen per fixture surface area to avoid bright spots. An ordinary surface mount intended to imitate a can light in a J-box would be quite narrow and have a tunnel vision light.
    Last edited by Electric-Light; 02-28-17 at 02:06 AM.

Are there any code restrictions if using porcelin keyless fixtures in the attic??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
    Are there any code restrictions if using porcelin keyless fixtures in the attic??? Thanks
    None.

I am not a fan of CFL but I would try Allied LH-CFL1. They are low profile, don't break easily and cost less than $20.