Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type of attic light

What type of attic light

I am looking to install attic lights in a ranch house. I am looking for suggestions as to what is a good type. Is an led light acceptable for the extreme heat and cold of an attic. Being we can not buy incandescent bulbs any more what else is there? If i get led flourescents will this work up there. I am having central air conditioning installed this year so would like to have lights up there and also will use the space for storage of unwanted items . It is a crawl space but in a ranch house that is 60 feet long. Will install a pilot lighted switch in the hall for the lights.

Thanks in advance.

I am allowing this thread since the OP didn't ask "how" to install or wire anything.
    So please only respond to the OP's question concerning lighting types and their suitability.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Just my opinion, didn't look up the facts on this:

LEDs are fine for cold but very expensive. High temps shorten their life.

CFLs don't like cold, take minutes to warm up to full brightness. Not good for quick look around the attic. They are cheap. They make low temp versions down to 0 degrees I hear. Never seen them.

Halogen is probably your best bet. Relatively inexpensive, works in all temps, instantly bright.

Welcome. Unless it's a NJ thing, you can most certainly buy keyless fixtures and edison/medium base bulbs for them.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Some ranch style homes have very low attics "ceilings" so a florescent or LED strip light is a better choice than a porcelain. I had keyless fixtures in my attic and changed them all to strip lights after I hit and broke the third hot lamp with my head when when climbing around up there.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    LEDs are fine for cold but very expensive. High temps shorten their life.
    3 60 watt equivalent for 8 bucks, 10,000 hour life at Ace Hardware. That's what I would use if there was room for incandescent bulbs. Even if their life was cut in half, that's still 5,000 hours.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    3 60 watt equivalent for 8 bucks, 10,000 hour life at Ace Hardware. That's what I would use if there was room for incandescent bulbs. Even if their life was cut in half, that's still 5,000 hours.
    And the leds would probably last forever- barring someone living up there, how often is the average attic light actually used?

To the op: whatever you decide to do, give this a little thought and try to put your lights above where you wouldn't store anything-( you want to be able to reach the fixture to replace the bulb) and where the light will not be obstructed by framing. One near the entrance and the rest mounted below and between the rafters near the peak, along with one near the wh vent/ hvac is usually a good layout.

We have relatively warm winters, so I use these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-986...+light+fixture
    ABC

"Eschew Obfuscation!"

Some good points made. I am worried about the breakage because it is just a crawl attic. I am going to have air conditioning guys crawling around up there with duct work. If I go with the keyless fixtures I may have to use those metal guards. I would not mind the led strip lights if I know they can withstand the heat and cold. Have to think about this more. I will start running the wire next week hopefully. Thanks.

Don't put them right over the main walkway, then you won't have nearly the chance of bumping into them accidentally. CFL's and LED's won't take the heat as well as an incandescent, but lights in such locations typically don't get hardly any hours on them in the first place. I'd put some incandescent bulbs up there myself, but I am still seeing them in the stores, maybe some of you out there aren't finding them at all?