Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Apprentices

The apprentices I work with are in a five year apprentice program where you'll be tested to move up to the next level to become a journeyman. It just amazes me that many of them have little desire to learn any more than they need to get by when they have 40 years in the trade ahead of them.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    It just amazes me that many of them have little desire to learn any more than they need to get by when they have 40 years in the trade ahead of them.
    Yes, it's definitely discouraging. It's never sat well with me when I've come across types of people like that, that are content just being "mediocre."

The apprentices I work with are in a five year apprentice program where you'll be tested to move up to the next level to become a journeyman. It just amazes me that many of them have little desire to learn any more than they need to get by when they have 40 years in the trade ahead of them.
    they probably are more interested in the more immediate goal of getting the journeyman requirements done before worrying about anything beyond that. can't say I blame them all that much. most people really do not have a fourty year time horizon. more like 40 minutes.
    Bob

Becoming an apprentice, what are some ways to work best in the field and with your contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicbell View Post
    Becoming an apprentice, what are some ways to work best in the field and with your contractor?
    I tell neophytes that they can learn quite a lot through observation, I call it education through observation. You should look at what you're doing and try to understand it, when you don't understand something ask for an explanation. For me teaching the next generation of electricians who will be partially paying my pension is important and part of the job of being a journeyman so I'll take the time to ask them questions and to explain things. It's the ones who show little interest in learning that get under my skin, maybe they already know it all.
    Rob

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    It's the ones who show little interest in learning that get under my skin, maybe they already know it all.
    ahem. i've *always* known it all....
    the problem is about 31% of it is
    *alternative knowledge*.

i'm just trying to get another 2% in
    my favor before i die.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Just wondering how many of us take time to teach apprentices while we're working with them in the field? I try to explain things while we're doing them whether it's bending conduit or installing switchgear, transformers or GEC's, etc. I find that some apprentices want the field training in real time because they can see it right in front of them, and others don't really care. I'm wondering if the don't really care types are worth the effort? I'm easily discouraged when I feel like I'm talking to someone who seemingly knows everything or I'm just talking to myself.
    If you get one of those that seem to know everything, quiz and probe them. See what is it that they have learned in advance. Play off of that. Often that will be the most telling. They either have been reading electrical books from a young age or are just the type who do not grasp how much effort is involved.

But to be frank some are not worth the effort IMHO. Modern education does an exceptionally good job of over simplifying the world we live in while denouncing effort in achievement... Many come in looking for basically a free pass, getting the ticket without any learning or work. In those cases the job is not for them.

Those who have the passion will show it when respected, those who do not will now show it no matter how much you try to bring out the best in them.

IMHO you can only change yourself. You can make yourself the best teacher in the world, but you can't make the best student if they have no zeal to take their chosen position seriously.
    What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    But to be frank some are not worth the effort IMHO. Modern education does an exceptionally good job of over simplifying the world we live in while denouncing effort in achievement... Many come in looking for basically a free pass, getting the ticket without any learning or work. In those cases the job is not for them.
    My feeling as well hence this thread and the mini rant.
    Rob

My feeling as well hence this thread and the mini rant.
    Rants are always worth it, they passionately speak truth
    What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

I'm a career changer. I started the apprenticeship when I was 46 in a class full of 20 somethings. I liked to say I was the world's oldest apprentice, but I'm told it wasn't true, there was a guy nearly at retirement age a few years before me who in fact retired just after graduation. Guess they really needed apprentices.

I would spend the required hour or two to read a book and answer questions in a workbook. When I was tested I rarely got more than two questions wrong. When you read the material, the classes are easy.

95% of my classmates would gather a few minutes before class to copy homework answers off each other and never read the material. Most would get failing or barely passing grades on tests. During class breaks I would see a few smoking dope in their cars. A dozen out of 30 made it to graduation.

Being older, more experienced, and having a family to support, it was easy for me to concentrate on doing a good job. But these kids? Meh.