Thread: residential new construction in tx estimating question

residential new construction in tx estimating question

I have been charging $25 per device box in texas for years. New construction residential. I dont price check that often with other electricians. I know there are several methods of estimating. Am I even close to medium range priced?

Quote Originally Posted by difowler1 View Post
    I have been charging $25 per device box in texas for years. New construction residential. I dont price check that often with other electricians. I know there are several methods of estimating. Am I even close to medium range priced?
    It's really crazy to read that here in NYC we charge starting at 100$ a minimum. I usually charge about 125 per point

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

$25 an opening? You can make a living at that, let alone a profit? What is journeyman rate of pay per hour? Even for Texas that seems extremely low.
    ABC

"Eschew Obfuscation!"

residential new construction in tx estimating question

All depends on your own costs.....

I'm in GA, and that's higher than what people are charging here. I don't do a per-device cost; I do a full take-off and you can break it down however you want.

I just glanced over some numbers from a job we're doing now; duplex recep $19, S1 switch $22, S4 switch $30. Appliances, equipment, service, etc..... all have their own cost above that. This house is 4k sq ft with a detached garage and pool house, total cost is $38k. With the two other buildings it's about 6k sq ft total so about $6.30/sq ft. They had another bid for $4.25/sq ft.

I do very few houses as the margins here in that area are too low to be competitive. I think I bid 15% profit on this and you see how much higher I was than the next guy. We would have lost several thousand dollars doing it for their price.

Full labor cost avg for me is $23/hr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    It's really crazy to read that here in NYC we charge starting at 100$ a minimum. I usually charge about 125 per point

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Those are service call rates for us; but our costs here are exponentially lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

rates

I normally charge $35 on an hourly job and $75 for a local service call. Any other texans lower than that?

Quote Originally Posted by difowler1 View Post
    I normally charge $35 on an hourly job and $75 for a local service call. Any other texans lower than that?

Where in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by plnienaber View Post
    Where in Texas?
    Where in Texas would be an important factor. I know the rates here in Georgia are not the same once you get out in the more rural areas.