Thread: Romex Labor Units

Romex Labor Units

What does everyone use for romex labor units? Our estimating program has 10hrs/M but that seems pretty high? I was thinking closer to 8hrs/M. Assuming that also includes your hole drilling as well.

Ours is even higher, but we do mostly service and the numbers have been tweaked through the years for what works for our business model.

Per foot (you have to do the math for 1000' )
    14/2 - 0.012
    14/3 - 0.015
    12/2 - 0.015
    12/3 - 0.017
    10/2 - 0.017
    10/3 - 0.02

Seems reasonable I guess if you add in the labor for drilling and up down trips on ladders through out the day. We typically only do commercial and industrial work but I'm working on putting together a price on a 12,000 sq ft house that bids today and was just curious where I should be at for rough in hours. Our guys will have the training wheels on for a bit as not many of them have done residential work.

thanks.

Unit base?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky704 View Post
    What does everyone use for romex labor units? Our estimating program has 10hrs/M but that seems pretty high? I was thinking closer to 8hrs/M. Assuming that also includes your hole drilling as well.
    What reference base is being used? Dwelling custom resi vs dwelling mid rise installs? 10 seems high for tract dwelling rough for planned rope installs not including SE runs. An experienced planned rough can box set, drill and pull an easy M sq ft in seven hours with more than 1.5 M ft of NM cable for wood frame construction. In planned and pre-wired multi-family installs, a trained crew is capable of running home runs with a branching crew that do even better. Knowing where runs land can make a project more efficient as the experience curve and project duplication increases. Custom at 8 hr I would agree is probably referenced here as compared to a multi-mid rise or tract project?
    rbj, Seattle...Safety is a Professional Courtesy.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by gndrod View Post
    What reference base is being used? Dwelling custom resi vs dwelling mid rise installs? 10 seems high for tract dwelling rough for planned rope installs not including SE runs. An experienced planned rough can box set, drill and pull an easy M sq ft in seven hours with more than 1.5 M ft of NM cable for wood frame construction. In planned and pre-wired multi-family installs, a trained crew is capable of running home runs with a branching crew that do even better. Knowing where runs land can make a project more efficient as the experience curve and project duplication increases. Custom at 8 hr I would agree is probably referenced here as compared to a multi-mid rise or tract project?
    I am pretty sure a 12,000 sq. ft. house will be custom.

My concern is that the OP is getting into a project that may be way over his head, as he mentioned he doesn't have a crew with residential experience. A 12,000 sq. ft. home is not the place to be cutting ones teeth on, IMHO. I was trained in industrial and commercial and took up residential just to keep working. There is a fairly steep learning curve on the first, and second....and maybe part of the third jobs, as res work is vastly different than industrial commercial. Don't expect your industrial guys to sling Romex like someone that does res work every day. On the first job, consider yourself lucky to get about 1/2 speed out of them. No fault on your guys, it's just they will be like fishes out of water for a while. I can tell you that from personal experience.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I am pretty sure a 12,000 sq. ft. house will be custom.

My concern is that the OP is getting into a project that may be way over his head, as he mentioned he doesn't have a crew with residential experience. A 12,000 sq. ft. home is not the place to be cutting ones teeth on, IMHO. I was trained in industrial and commercial and took up residential just to keep working. There is a fairly steep learning curve on the first, and second....and maybe part of the third jobs, as res work is vastly different than industrial commercial. Don't expect your industrial guys to sling Romex like someone that does res work every day. On the first job, consider yourself lucky to get about 1/2 speed out of them. No fault on your guys, it's just they will be like fishes out of water for a while. I can tell you that from personal experience.
    I went the other way resi to com, but when I would do side jobs I would hire some of the com guys to help me out and it seemed the Romex just confused the heck out of them, oh and three way switches.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Never used that estimation, just want to mention that a 12k sq ft home probably has a lot of high ceilings, and w/o extensions or a tool like a Milwaukee angle drive extension drill/attachment, your guys are gonna burn time like crazy climbing ladders. And any rough-in errors/omissions take 10x as long to fix at trim out as they would have taken to do right the first go around. Personally, I'd focus on doing it 100% right the first time and not worry about speed too much; that will come with practice and experience.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

I'd agree with the last three posts. 1/2 speed; confusion, and make sure you do it right the first time. My experience is: resi full speed, comm 3/4-1/2 speed and industrial throw an anchor out. (My perspective)