Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer needs sconces switchable from 3 locations

Customer needs sconces switchable from 3 locations

6 can lights total. Light 1, light2, light 4, controlled from first switch. Light 1, light2, light3 controlled by second switch . Only Light 4 controlled by 3rd switch. Any help on this one greatly appreciated the . Need relay of some kind, Right? Customer is willing to pay what's needed to make this happen.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan68 View Post
    6 can lights total. Light 1, light2, light 4, controlled from first switch. Light 1, light2, light3 controlled by second switch . Only Light 4 controlled by 3rd switch. Any help on this one greatly appreciated the . Need relay of some kind, Right? Customer is willing to pay what's needed to make this happen.

More information is needed, mainly what lights need to be switched together, and from how many locations. You say 6 can lights but make no mention of lights 5 and 6. Could you provide some more detailed information?

Using 3 and 4 way switches will probably be the easiest way to go, no relays needed.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    More information is needed, mainly what lights need to be switched together, and from how many locations. You say 6 can lights but make no mention of lights 5 and 6. Could you provide some more detailed information?

Using 3 and 4 way switches will probably be the easiest way to go, no relays needed.
    Except that conventional 3-way and 4-way switches will not allow single switches at different locations to control different subsets of lights.
    All they can do is allow on-off control of the same group of lights from multiple locations.

As described in the OP, if S1 is used to turn on 1, 2, and 3 and then S2 is used to turn off 1 and 2 it will leave 3 on and also turn on 4.
    Even with momentary contact controlled relays that would require diodes on a DC control net or multiple contacts on each switch or a PLC to implement.

I think you would need more than one switch at each location. Lights 1&2 controlled by 2 ea. three way switches Light 4 controlled by 2 ea. three ways switches. Light three by a seperate single pole switch and 5&6 by whatever they want.

But Fletcher is right that you need to give more information. My advice is to draw it out on paper and see what works.

If he is willing to pay it can be done. If he insist on only one switch at each location then a PLC may be the best choice.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)

Small PLC with momentary three position switches as input devices. Center position held. Sw 1 up turns outputs 1,2,4 On. Down turns them Off. Repeat with the additional I/O just as you have it written. One output for each fixture, two inputs for each switch.

Headed now to the deep, dark, dank basement just to try this out. Cept I'll probably use an HMI, in place of the switches.

edit: There is a bunch of other misc stuff in the detail.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post

Thanks jfletcher. Here are some details that will clarify. Combination of can lights and sconces. Name:  1488369389122.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  90.5 KB

OP. The drawing doesn't match with what you described in your first post.
    Tom
    TBLO

You need to use a Lutron system with a keypad. You install Maestro type switches and then the keypad gets programmed to control the lighting as you wish. Call Lutron they will set you up with part numbers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    You need to use a Lutron system with a keypad. You install Maestro type switches and then the keypad gets programmed to control the lighting as you wish. Call Lutron they will set you up with part numbers etc.
    But I'm done and ready to sell...
    Tom
    TBLO

Thanks jfletcher. Here are some details that will clarify. Combination of can lights and sconces. Name:  1488369389122.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  90.5 KB

If you are doing what I think you are doing, you either need some relays, solid state logic relays, or even just some multipole switches and a little know how to draw up the logic needed.