Red Emergency Gas Burner Switch Plates......

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Are they required by code? Recently had a service call to install two emergency switches with the red plates in the hallway. The units sit in attic and have a switch beside each unit. Home inspector wrote up "No Emergency switches in living space". I think the installation is code compliant without the "Emergency switches" in the living space. What do you guys think?

iwire

Staff member
The mechanical codes require it for oil burners but I have never seen a code requirement for gas fired units.

That has not stopped inspectors in RI from requiring them.

kwired

Electron manager
Not an NEC requirement, but is a requirement by other codes in certain instances.

Oil burners typically require such a switch, and boilers with closed pressurized systems usually will require something similar regardless of what the heating energy source is.

On boiler installations, when such switches were required I made the mechanical contractor specify location and type of switch needed - or had them supply switch - it was always their inspector that was going to write them up if it was wrong. Usually instead of going to them for this info they usually come to me - they will not pass their inspection if switches don't comply with mechanical code.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are they required by code? Recently had a service call to install two emergency switches with the red plates in the hallway. The units sit in attic and have a switch beside each unit. Home inspector wrote up "No Emergency switches in living space". I think the installation is code compliant without the "Emergency switches" in the living space. What do you guys think?

What the inspector wrote doesn't sound like he's asking for a red cover plate but an actual switch within the living space.

iwire

Staff member
What the inspector wrote doesn't sound like he's asking for a red cover plate but an actual switch within the living space.

Which is not a code requirement I am aware of either.

For oil burners the required location for the emergency switch is outside of the room or space the oil burner is in. In my area that usually ends up being at the top of the basement stairs on the first floor side of the wall.

I would be interested in seeing any requirement for a gas fueled heating system.

I suspect the rule for pressurized vessels kwired mentions does not apply to home heating systems.

cadpoint

I grow up in Norfolk, a red emergency switch was on wall for gas pack in our house
and every other house in the neighborhood. It was in our house at 80".

One of the first cover plates I remember because it was red! :)

I tried to find it in the VA Bldg. Code but there's only like four
depending on what your doing...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Its funny because there are homes from the 70s that don't have a single red switch, while all of those from the mid-late 80s have one regardless of fuel or burner type than suddenly back to nothing after that. Its more what the inspector wanted. If he makes no mention of them they don't get installed regardless if oil or gas.

The NEC doesn't require them but as iwire mentioned other codes might for oil burners. Enforcement is a different story, at least where I work.

Status
Not open for further replies.