Thread: Official NFPA 70E or arc flash certification?

Official NFPA 70E or arc flash certification?

Are there official NFPA70E or Arc Flash training certifications for performing energized work?

A client site has requested a copy of certifications for our employees on site. We deemed the employees electrically knowledgeable persons, and they have completed an arc flash training course but were not supplied with an official certificate of any kind upon completion.

The NFPA70E seems to leave this up to interpretation as to what an electrically qualified person is.

I have found an older thread stating there is no certification, but that was in 2007 and arc flash is in its relative infancy so I am making sure the correct certifications are aquired.

Thanks for the clarification.

normally when we get trained we get a certificate signed by the trainer. usually comes in a pdf that we have to print out if we want a paper copy.

you are certified if you have a certificate. not anymore complicated than that.
    Bob

Alright, I can accept that it is that simple.

But who is qualified to give out certificates? Can anyone train you and print you out a certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Pete View Post
    Alright, I can accept that it is that simple.

But who is qualified to give out certificates? Can anyone train you and print you out a certificate?
    anyone the employer deems qualified to do the training. it is solely up to the employer. just like it is up to the employer to determine what training is required for each task an employee does.

incidentally, the certification requirement might be a contractual requirement with a customer but it is not something any governmental body requires. The training is required, and records of the training are required to be kept, but there is no requirement that a trained person receive any kind of certificate.
    Bob

OK that clears it up, thank you for all the help Bob!

When my company does an 8 hr training class for NFPA 70E, we issue certificates of course completion if the attendee has successfully completed a test at the end of training. The certificates are sent to the employer along with a synopsis of course content. There is no certification but there are some specific training as outlined in NFPA 70E-015 Art. 110.2