Type-NM to furnace secured to PVC vent pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Shouldn't Type-NM be in conduit or some other form of protection for drop down to furnace? Here is a case where it is attached to the PVC pipe of a high-eff furnace vent.

Attachments

• DSCF4034-1_edited-1.jpg
    DSCF4034-1_edited-1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I see two potential problems:
1. Probably not protected adequately from physical damage at a low height from floor, but not clear from picture.
2. I would need to know more about the outside temp of the concentric PVC to see whether the ambient temp for the NM would be other than room temperature.
Same concern about proximity to duct unless that is a return.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Since the jacket and conductor insulation for NM B are both PVC I'd think it would be OK strapped to the pipe. As far as I'm concerned I can strap to it.

No furnace guys better not be strappin' no thermostat wire to any of my conduit though.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since the jacket and conductor insulation for NM B are both PVC I'd think it would be OK strapped to the pipe. As far as I'm concerned I can strap to it.

No furnace guys better not be strappin' no thermostat wire to any of my conduit though.
I am not at all concerned about directly melting the insulation, just the possible ampacity correction. :)
I suspect you would not strap wiring to a hot water pipe, for example.

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager

I thought Class 2 control cable may be attached to the conduit if it serves the circuit in the conduit. If so, that would make it OK to strap thermostat wire to the conduit that feeds power to the furnace. Has this changed?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I thought Class 2 control cable may be attached to the conduit if it serves the circuit in the conduit. If so, that would make it OK to strap thermostat wire to the conduit that feeds power to the furnace. Has this changed?

You're correct and it's still in the NEC.

300.11(B)(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors
for electrically controlled equipment and is used to sup-
port Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely
for the purpose of connection to the equipment control
circuits

Canton

Occupation
Electrician

Its code compliant.....but aint no nasty HVAC guys gonna strap their thermostat wire to my pipe...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.