Thread: Long Day Lighting

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)

Long Day Lighting

For those of you working in the Dairy industry, what has been your experience with LDL installation? Grow your own controls or readymade?
    Tom
    TBLO

No idea what you're talking about. Can you explain what that is?

Milk production is increased considerably, 5 lbs/head, when cows are exposed up to 16 hrs per day of about 15-20 ft candles, followed by 8 hrs of darkness.

Small barns would be easy enough, 500' are going to be somewhat different.
    Tom
    TBLO

We do the dairy work for most of the dairies in this area, a couple of them are HUGE(22,500 and 7,500 milking cows) and none of them use long day lighting. We're currently wiring a 10,000 milking cow dairy right now from the ground up, which I built the lighting control panels for, and they didn't request long day lighting either.

I've heard of this for chicken farms and getting the hens to lay one extra egg/week but haven't seen it yet with dairies. Is this something you've just started hearing about it or have you been doing LDL for a while now?

I know some of these dairy farmers aren't willing to jump on the bandwagon until they've seen it proven with a definite track record, so maybe our customers are just giving it a little more time until they tell me they want to make some lighting changes!

New manager of a 3000 head Dairy is requesting it. They had very good results at a previous Dairy in Kansas. These bars are due for a rewire anyway and what the heck, it's just dollars.
    Tom
    TBLO

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Milk production is increased considerably, 5 lbs/head, when cows are exposed up to 16 hrs per day of about 15-20 ft candles, followed by 8 hrs of darkness.

Small barns would be easy enough, 500' are going to be somewhat different.
    i'd think 0-10v dimming would be the best way to get the setpoint where
    you want it.

it's not used in this application, but daylight harvesting would work excellently.
    it'll maintain a setpoint of whatever footcandles you want, so if you have some
    ambient light coming in, it'll allow for that, and maintain a constant light.

i'd do it with nLight. a couple thousand dollars probably would get you enough
    hardware to do almost any size facility. local controls could be programmed with
    a couple buttons.... one to go full bright for when you have to work in the facility,
    and need bright light, and it would be a local override that would only be full bright
    for an hour, then revert.

and you could put timers into the controls effortlessly.

is there a color temperature that is best? 5000k?
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

I don't know if there is a preferred K or CRI but I will be finding out.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    i'd think 0-10v dimming would be the best way to get the setpoint where
    you want it.

it's not used in this application, but daylight harvesting would work excellently.
    it'll maintain a setpoint of whatever footcandles you want, so if you have some
    ambient light coming in, it'll allow for that, and maintain a constant light.

i'd do it with nLight. a couple thousand dollars probably would get you enough
    hardware to do almost any size facility. local controls could be programmed with
    a couple buttons.... one to go full bright for when you have to work in the facility,
    and need bright light, and it would be a local override that would only be full bright
    for an hour, then revert.

and you could put timers into the controls effortlessly.

is there a color temperature that is best? 5000k?
    That's good to know.

A guy like myself doesn't get into 0-10volt dimming doing dairies and other such ag work, but that's the great thing about using this forum as a sounding board to hear others experiences on what works well. I know we've done the wiring for 0-10v dimming in schools and similar places before, but I believe the systems have all been spec'ed and we weren't the ones doing the programming. Thanks for your input. If this comes up in the future, I may have to pick your brain on it a little.