Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch legs

Switch legs

Can according to the NEC can you use #14 AWG as a switch leg if the circuit is fed by #12 on a 20 amp circuit?

This was a accepted practice in this area for some time long ago but I don't know of a time when it was actually acceptable by the NEC and it is not currently.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Tain't legal now, wuddint' legal back when, and prolly no gonna be legal any time soon no how.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

I don't do it because I was taught so BUT I think it should be, for lighting switch legs/travelers only. As most likely the switch is only 15 amp rated anyhow and is compliant as long as the lighting load doesn't exceed that rating. And especially when dimmers are most commonly rated for only 600-1000 watts anyhow.

Has anyone tried to change it by submitting a proposal?

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    I don't do it because I was taught so BUT I think it should be, for lighting switch legs/travelers only. As most likely the switch is only 15 amp rated anyhow and is compliant as long as the lighting load doesn't exceed that rating. And especially when dimmers are most commonly rated for only 600-1000 watts anyhow.

Has anyone tried to change it by submitting a proposal?
    I don't think the load or the rating of the switch is the issue. I believe it's all about proper protection of the conductor.

I do believe that we are allowed 15A switches on a 20 amp circuit, and smaller fixture wires because they both will be inside an enclosure, as opposed to buried in a wall like the 14AWG switch legs would be. I would be against any proposal that would allow downsizing of switch leg conductors because of that.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Ahhhhh come on,

take the word BRANCH and what does that signify. Think of a tree a branch starts out a certain size then reduces as it grows out in different directions.

Why would our our forefathers call it a BRANCH CIRCUIT if it didn't have the ability to be reduced in size determined by its loading ?

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Ahhhhh come on,

take the word BRANCH and what does that signify. Think of a tree a branch starts out a certain size then reduces as it grows out in different directions.

Why would our our forefathers call it a BRANCH CIRCUIT if it didn't have the ability to be reduced in size determined by its loading ?
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the reason is the above has nothing at all to do with safe electrical practices. If I am barking up the wrong tree, please let me know, and if you wood, post a copy of your proposal here. That is unless ewe decide knot to send one in.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

240.4(D) would be the section that shoots down #14 on a 20A breaker for a lighting circuit.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

I know,

But I have yet to have ever seen any indication of any failure of the 14awg switch leg wires that here too appear to have been commonplace years ago.

I know,

But I have yet to have ever seen any indication of any failure of the 14awg switch leg wires that here too appear to have been commonplace years ago.
    There is your substantiation. Put your proposal in the "proposals for next code change" topic, we all can comment, then submit to NFPA
    Last edited by tom baker; 03-07-17 at 12:57 AM.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo