Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAREHOUSE EMERGENCY/EGRESS LIGHTING

WAREHOUSE EMERGENCY/EGRESS LIGHTING

Working on a 250' x 250' warehouse/production facility. 150' x 240' is 18' high rack storage, 100' x 150' production area, 50' x 90' office, and 50' x 90' misc. Lighting is LED at ~20' AFF. Production and misc. areas are dimmable. The office is mostly dimmable. At the moment the office lights are 120V and the rest is 277V, but the office can be 277V if needed. There is a single 277V lighting panelboard.

I can't in good conscience put in battery packs because of the battery maintenance issues. But going to an emergency generator requires lots of dedicated conduits which are costly and potentially dedicated fixtures. But, even with that it should (?) be the least long term cost. And with dimmable fixtures, it will be interesting how (if) to use any of them for the egress lighting.

What is the "preferred" method(s) to providing emergency lighting for large areas?

Thanks,
    RC
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    What battery maintenance issues? You test them annually and do what needs done. Why is this any harder than any needed maintenence all the other lights in the facility? Why is having a generator a better option? It's not like they are maintenance free. Far, far from it as a matter of fact.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

ANYBODY WITH COMMENTS, ETC.??
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Posting in caps is bad.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

You can use a BCELTS on dimmable fixtures. You might want to consider a central battery inverter instead of a generator.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

ActionDave already replied. Anyway, most hotels and warehouses here have something like these:

http://www.e-conolight.com/standard-...z-AaAmaO8P8HAQ

or something similar x 20, 30, 200, etc, and they far exceed 40,000ft2. Get an extension pole to test them monthly, replace the whole fixture every 6-8 years or so. The battery and lights will last that long. I dont know of a cheaper method.

Battery back ups to troffer lights are harder to test and the batteries cost 5-10x what separate egress lighting costs. I'd use integrated EXIT signs/elights where possible
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

OK,

I hate typical EBUs, they are ugly and not that great lighting areas up. I would much prefer a generator feeding the regular lighting.

However, if you have no real need for backup power other than the egress lighting a generator is going to be the most costly way to go. There are the ongoing costs of required upkeep, oil changes, exercising etc.

The up front costs for an emergency genset ATS and seperate wiring clearly much higher.

You can buy a new EBU for little more than the cost of a replacement battery for it.

Inspected a ton of warehouse over the last decades. 95% are done as JFletcher notes above.\
    Apparently the most cost effective as most were wired by the low bidder
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Have forklift operator turn on the headlights on the forklift during a power outage

What specific fixture ? Most can be ordered with a battery backup factory installed. Your other option would be remote inverters at ground level that are more easily accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.