leviton surge outlet t5280

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Only the LED turns off, not the receptacle.

A substantial surge will destroy or degrade its protection ability, as with most SPD's.

I have 3 of the 5380 model protecting my home theater system.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The 5380 provides a limited amount of SP. I recommend a high quality SPD at the service panel - expect to pay $200 to $300 for one from Levition. The service panel spd reduces the surge and the impedance of the building wire reduces it further to your point of use SPD.
Mike Holt once said about SPDs
You get what you pay for
More is better

electricalist

The call was a office had a surge and printers ups etc were no longer working.
Someone there tested outlet and had 240 hot to neutral 110 to ground. I picked up the sp device just to have on hand. .
Its was a mwbc 3 pole 1 neutral. The 1 st plug from panel was damaged and removed hots were seperated (2 ). Neutrals (2) wire nutted together but pulled apart with a little tug Which opened the neutral. One of the phases was lighting and fed 123 v to the outlets on a phases neutrals.
So back to the sp. Would it have saved the equipment?

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
An SPD will not help against bad voltages which are solidly fed and will continue to deliver energy to your loads even when the SPD tries to clamp those voltages.
Nor will they protect against voltage combinations that are within the range they have to withstand, e.g. still only 120V to ground even though the neutral went hot.
A line to "neutral" wired SPD might have pulled enough current to trip the branch breaker, but it is not designed to do that.
The lost neutral would have been prevented by current NEC compliant wiring (pigtailed neutral) in the receptacle box.

electricalist

An SPD will not help against bad voltages which are solidly fed and will continue to deliver energy to your loads even when the SPD tries to clamp those voltages.
Nor will they protect against voltage combinations that are within the range they have to withstand, e.g. still only 120V to ground even though the neutral went hot.
A line to "neutral" wired SPD might have pulled enough current to trip the branch breaker, but it is not designed to do that.
The lost neutral would have been prevented by current NEC compliant wiring (pigtailed neutral) in the receptacle box.
Would afci breakers be a good idea. The building is older and I doubt they will pay for pigtaling . Or afci outlets? Kinda pricey. 28.00

kwired

Electron manager
It wouldnt detect the neutral being disconnected . When theres a load on a neutrL it will arc if its pulled apart or when put together..
I dont know afci outlets that well. Thats why im asking.
Chances are your mentioned arc at making/breaking of the circuit will not be long enough duration and/or at high enough current level to make the AFCI trip ........ unless it is a normal characteristic of a desired load, then it will always trip:roll:

electricalist

Chances are your mentioned arc at making/breaking of the circuit will not be long enough duration and/or at high enough current level to make the AFCI trip ........ unless it is a normal characteristic of a desired load, then it will always trip:roll:

That makes sense. So what do you guys think is a good solution to offer?
If I said as an example. The outlet was damaged out of spite. So in these areas we are going to remove the devices because the incident cause part of the computer system to stop working. Although the comp, camera and other vital circuits are very important, budget is the deciding factor.
This is all block walls or concrete. Runs like a maze . One might say like a jail would be. . I think getting circuits in critical areas away from undesired areas is first, since afci wont protect against. Tampering.

Status
Not open for further replies.