Kitchen Pop-up outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the problem with the Mockett is that it is cord and plug not direct wired. There was one that was listed for kitchens and hard wired but they took it off the market because they had issues with the release mechanism. I believe it was the T&B pictured here http://www.cupboardsonline.com/2012/01/genius-moment-carlon-pop-up-receptacle.html

Carlon+Pop.jpg

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
:thumbsup:

Now that makes perfect sense.

Is there a specific UL standard for kitchen receptacles? :huh:
There are for Relocatable Power Taps (UL 1363) and that is what they would be unless they are direct wired and considered permanent.
[h=3]1 Scope (UL 1363)[/h]1.1 These requirements cover indoor use cord and plug connected, relocatable power taps (RPT) rated 250 V AC or less and 20 Amperes or less. RPT are for use as a movable power supply connection for cord and plug connected electrical utilization equipment in accordance with the National Electric Code, NFPA 70.

480sparky

I think the problem with the Mockett is that it is cord and plug not direct wired. There was one that was listed for kitchens and hard wired but they took it off the market because they had issues with the release mechanism. I believe it was the T&B pictured here http://www.cupboardsonline.com/2012/01/genius-moment-carlon-pop-up-receptacle.html

Carlon+Pop.jpg

Just an FYI to anyone considering these: They are not available. They've been on 'temporary engineering hold' by the manufacturer for several years now. Yes, they're on the maker's websites, and in their catalogs, and suppliers can look them up on their computers.

But you'd be hard-pressed to get your hands on one.

iwire

Staff member
There are for Relocatable Power Taps (UL 1363) and that is what they would be unless they are direct wired and considered permanent.
[h=3]1 Scope (UL 1363)[/h]1.1 These requirements cover indoor use cord and plug connected, relocatable power taps (RPT) rated 250 V AC or less and 20 Amperes or less. RPT are for use as a movable power supply connection for cord and plug connected electrical utilization equipment in accordance with the National Electric Code, NFPA 70.

That was not what I asked, I understand a plug in version would not be acceptable for receptacle required by article 210.

Dennis mentioned there was a hardwired version that was listed for kitchens. As far as I know there is no such standard to list it too.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
That was not what I asked, I understand a plug in version would not be acceptable for receptacle required by article 210.

Dennis mentioned there was a hardwired version that was listed for kitchens. As far as I know there is no such standard to list it too.
Sorry..did not mean to imply anything....just adding to the conversation. No worries I will refrain:angel:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
An option (I think I have seen it posted here before) is a http://www.sillites.com/newconstruction.php receptacle, they are not pop ups but they are small and fulfill the requirements of a receptacle.

They will not work on a counter that has windows with no place to install a receptacle. Technically they cannot be installed on the front side of a cabinet unless it is an island or peninsula and they cannot be installed face up on an countertop

406.5(E) Receptacles in Countertops and SimilarWork Surfaces.
Receptacles, unless listed as receptacle assemblies
for countertop applications, shall not be installed in a
face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.

Where receptacle assemblies for countertop applications
are required to provide ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection
for personnel in accordance with 210.8, such assemblies
shall be permitted to be listed as GFCI receptacle
assemblies for countertop applications.

DougAles

We discontinued this item. I was told it would be offered by Doug Mockett.

I attached a copy of the 2011 NEC information. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 1

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
An option (I think I have seen it posted here before) is a http://www.sillites.com/newconstruction.php receptacle, they are not pop ups but they are small and fulfill the requirements of a receptacle.

They will not work on a counter that has windows with no place to install a receptacle. Technically they cannot be installed on the front side of a cabinet unless it is an island or peninsula and they cannot be installed face up on an countertop

Would a single receptacle satisfy the requirements for the receptacles serving counter tops, or any required receptacle as far as that goes?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Would a single receptacle satisfy the requirements for the receptacles serving counter tops, or any required receptacle as far as that goes?

Where in the nec does it state a duplex is needed. We use these all the time on peninsulas and islands. Customers love them and they are TR

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Look at 210.21(B)

210.21(B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit.
A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

True the sillite is a single receptacle but it is not necessarily on a individual circuit

Now look at Table 210.21(B)(3)

Table 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits

Circuit Rating Receptacle Rating
(Amperes) (Amperes)

15 Not over 15
20 15 or 20
30 30
40 40 or 50
50 50

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Where in the nec does it state a duplex is needed. We use these all the time on peninsulas and islands. Customers love them and they are TR

Well you technically asked for it....lol

517.33(A)(8) Task illumination, selected receptacles, and selectedpower circuits for the following:
a. General care beds (at least one duplex receptacle in
each patient bedroom)

620.23(C) Duplex Receptacle. At least one 125-volt, single-phase,
15- or 20-ampere duplex receptacle shall be provided in each
machine room or control room and machinery space or control
space.

620.24(C) Duplex Receptacle. At least one 125-volt, single-phase,
15- or 20-ampere duplex receptacle shall be provided in the
hoistway pit.

646.12 Receptacles. At least one 125-volt ac, 15- or
20-ampere-rated duplex convenience outlet shall be provided
in each work area of the MDC to facilitate the powering
of test and measurement equipment that may be required
during routine maintenance and servicing without
having to route flexible power cords through or across
doorways or around line-ups of equipment, or the like.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well you technically asked for it....lol

517.33(A)(8) Task illumination, selected receptacles, and selectedpower circuits for the following:
a. General care beds (at least one duplex receptacle in
each patient bedroom)

620.23(C) Duplex Receptacle. At least one 125-volt, single-phase,
15- or 20-ampere duplex receptacle shall be provided in each
machine room or control room and machinery space or control
space.

620.24(C) Duplex Receptacle. At least one 125-volt, single-phase,
15- or 20-ampere duplex receptacle shall be provided in the
hoistway pit.

646.12 Receptacles. At least one 125-volt ac, 15- or
20-ampere-rated duplex convenience outlet shall be provided
in each work area of the MDC to facilitate the powering
of test and measurement equipment that may be required
during routine maintenance and servicing without
having to route flexible power cords through or across
doorways or around line-ups of equipment, or the like.

You trying to show off again-- you know we are talking about the kitchen....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.