Thread: Low Voltage Cable run w/ Natural Gas Line

Low Voltage Cable run w/ Natural Gas Line

Hello all,

New to the forum and need a little input: We have a microbrewery under final construction phase here and the owner needs to run some 18/4 low voltage cable to some sensor probes in the brewing vats. Due to the layout of the room he has asked if it is allowable to zip tie the cable to the 1" black iron natural gas piping that runs along the ceiling and down to each vat. I'm trying to help him out with a solution but of course want it to be safe! Thanks in advance...

The Code prohibits LV (or any other wiring) from being supported by any kind of piping such as you suggest. Nothing to do with NG.If it were me I would run conduit down the walls (probably EMT if not washdown areas) with the LV wiring pulled through it.

-Hal

We have some microbrewery setups in this area where some portions of the facility carry a Hazardous Classification. Might be worth checking.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    The Code prohibits LV (or any other wiring) from being supported by any kind of piping such as you suggest. Nothing to do with NG.If it were me I would run conduit down the walls (probably EMT if not washdown areas) with the LV wiring pulled through it.

-Hal
    WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT?
    Bob

So I can ty-rap my 6 inch bundle of CAT6's to the sprinkler pipes?

300.11(B). By extension, if you can't hang plumbing off conduit you can't hang conduit off plumbing.

-Hal

So I can ty-rap my 6 inch bundle of CAT6's to the sprinkler pipes?

300.11(B). By extension, if you can't hang plumbing off conduit you can't hang conduit off plumbing.

-Hal
    Sprinkler piping, nope, per the sprinkler Codes.
    A conduit or raceway, nope, according to 725.143
    A gas pipe,,, probably not but I don't think its addressed by the NEC, likely the mechanical Codes.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

That's why I said the Code.

-Hal

Welcome!

That's why I said the Code.

-Hal
    and not "the" Code (the NEC).

OP, what you propose is likely against mechanical code(s), tho I have lost count of the amount of thermostat wiring to HVAC units zip tied to natural gas piping Ive seen. If it's considered related equipment, there is a long shot it may be up to code (whichever one you are looking at), but I wouldnt stake my word on it.

Just because it may or does pass inspection(s) doesnt mean it's right or up to code. I dont know of any article 725 or 800 install that would allow what you are proposing. I think day 3 of 'LV wire jockey' training was 'do not support comm cable or the like to or from electrical conduit(s)'.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will err on the side of caution and tell him it needs to be run separate. I can't find anything in the NC Mechanical code specifically for this but that doesn't mean I'm not missing something. As Augie said, this will be an F2 occupancy so a little extra caution can't hurt. Thanks again