using the ground for a neutral in a luminaire????

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone explain to me why i read 35 to 60 AC volts hot to neutral on a switch leg when the switch is off. could it be because someone has attached the neutral to the ground inside the switch because there wasnt a neutral at the switch location. is this dangerous? what are the possible negative results?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
can anyone explain to me why i read 35 to 60 AC volts hot to neutral on a switch leg when the switch is off. could it be because someone has attached the neutral to the ground inside the switch because there wasnt a neutral at the switch location. is this dangerous? what are the possible negative results?

No I would think lost neutral.

You're probably using a high-impedance meter. What you're seeing a "ghost" voltage (either capacitively or inductively coupled). Try using a low-impedance one, like a T-Pro. If there was a bootleg ground or the like, you'd see 120v or nothing.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The voltage you measure with high impedance meter is just the capacitively coupled voltage on the open wire from the hot traveler next to it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Could be an electric range or dryer (or something similar) that was installed with SEU cable. Anything like that requiring a neutral for digital displays might give you a reading like that. Try turning off one breaker at a time until you lose it. That should narrow it down.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming that the switch leg is connected to a load and the load is still connected to its neutral, I would not expect this to be an issue caused by the use of a high impedance meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.