Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Terminating unused taps on a coax splitter

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    16,688
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I've stayed out of this argument because I have no knowledge of splitter design other than to say that it's my understanding that these issues are no longer relevant with current day splitters used in CATV. The ports are extremely well matched and the isolation between output ports is greater than 40db. So any reflections from an unterminated port essentially isn't going anywhere.

    I know that you can put a dead short on a port and not affect the signal on the others. This is a problem that happens all the time.

    -Hal
    You can put a dead short (which could actually be an open at the other end of the cable) on a port and not short out the signal on the others. I would be hard pressed to believe that it would have no effect at all.
    If the splitter is based on what are known as "directional couplers", then it possible that you could get that degree of isolation.
    Unlike simple splitters, a directional coupler will have a minimum working frequency as well as a maximum frequency, and so would be more suitable for a cable system that does not have to process low-VHF (~50MHz) signals.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    3,168
    I will switch a splitter to a smaller one vs capping unused ports every single time. Less signal loss. I honesty do not know the ramifications of uncapped ports at the splitter or end use (wall plate), except to say CATV is extremely forgiving of wiring errors, right up until it totally crashes, or the cable company shows up wanting access to your house.

    Anything other than compression fittings are garbage. Cox here will cut them off and install their own fittings, period.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, NY
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Unlike simple splitters, a directional coupler will have a minimum working frequency as well as a maximum frequency, and so would be more suitable for a cable system that does not have to process low-VHF (~50MHz) signals.
    See, that's the thing. They aren't "simple" splitters anymore. And directional couplers certainly do go down to 5Mhz. I've used the then available ones back in the 80's to send reverse signal back to the head-end for local origination.

    The taps out on the poles are directional couplers by the way.

    -Hal

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    I will switch a splitter to a smaller one vs capping unused ports every single time. Less signal loss. I honesty do not know the ramifications of uncapped ports at the splitter or end use (wall plate), except to say CATV is extremely forgiving of wiring errors, right up until it totally crashes, or the cable company shows up wanting access to your house.

    Anything other than compression fittings are garbage. Cox here will cut them off and install their own fittings, period.
    reflective waves are the issue. in homes, kinda a waste of $$ to install terminators. it really only becomes an issue under special circumstances (usually for the service provider).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Taylorsville, UT
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    ...the isolation between output ports is greater than 40db. -Hal
    That 40dB port-to-port isolation typically is only in the return path, and then not even the low end of it. Outside of the 15-42MHz range (typically), the isolation is mid-20s to mid-30s. That's for 2-way splitters. In 4 and 8-ways, the 40dB isolation rating does go up into the mid-60MHz range.
    CIAO!

    Ed N.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, NY
    Posts
    2,817
    So, after two pages of differing opinions I wonder if the OP has learned anything? Really, if it bothers him that much go out and spend 75 cents for a terminator or better yet just remove the splitter. This is the kind of question that reminds me of the nonsense you get from audiophiles who debate whether $2000 high purity copper speaker cables make a difference over zip cord.

    And as far as cable TV is concerned, all this coax and RF stuff running around your house is soon going to be a moot point anyway when they move to IP and your TVs connect via WiFi. Then you'll only have one cable or fiber running in to your house to connect to the router/WiFi access point.

    TV sales are way down already because the Millennials watch everything on their iPhones.

    -Hal

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    3,168
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    So, after two pages of differing opinions I wonder if the OP has learned anything? Really, if it bothers him that much go out and spend 75 cents for a terminator or better yet just remove the splitter. This is the kind of question that reminds me of the nonsense you get from audiophiles who debate whether $2000 high purity copper speaker cables make a difference over zip cord.

    And as far as cable TV is concerned, all this coax and RF stuff running around your house is soon going to be a moot point anyway when they move to IP and your TVs connect via WiFi. Then you'll only have one cable or fiber running in to your house to connect to the router/WiFi access point.

    TV sales are way down already because the Millennials watch everything on their iPhones.

    -Hal
    Agreed on the bolded part. As for the part I underlined, it's not even close; I'd hazard an EG (educated or experienced guess) that 99% of the installs here are existing, fairly old (at least as old as CATV itself), and definitely subject to 'conventional CATV problems'.

    Yeah, people are hooking up TVs via WiFi, and I've seen my fair share of problems with that; mainly, an entry level/cheap router at one end of the house trying to throw a signal ~150' thru multiple layers of drywall, subfloor, doors, etc.

    TV sales are way down because Cox here wants to charge almost 200$ for phone/cable/internet, yet their bronze package, which is better than what I pay for now, is 90$. and there is almost nothing worth watching on TV anyway, HDTV or not.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, NY
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    ... and there is almost nothing worth watching on TV anyway, HDTV or not.
    And with that I rest my case.

    -Hal

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    30,371
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post

    TV sales are way down already because the Millennials watch everything on their iPhones.

    -Hal
    They can have it. Not that I don't look at anything on my phone, but if I want to watch TV, I am not looking a tiny little screen, in fact I recently put in a 100 inch screen and projector in my man cave. Want to watch football, that screen is much more like being at the stadium then that tiny little image on the phone is.

    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post

    TV sales are way down because Cox here wants to charge almost 200$ for phone/cable/internet, yet their bronze package, which is better than what I pay for now, is 90$. and there is almost nothing worth watching on TV anyway, HDTV or not.
    Also correct that even if you get 300+ channels, there isn't much worth watching on most of them, what is worth watching is old reruns of shows that were good when they were new. And if you want what little "good stuff" there is, you must subscribe to higher level and higher cost programming packages

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •