Backup Generator for House Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Units designed for portable use in OSHA environments are likely to have the entire output GFCI protected to reduce the need to GFCI individual circuits.

OSHA does not require GFCI protection on 240 volt 30 amp circuits either.

But I do agree with you and why I asked what use the generator is designed for.

The real answer here maybe that homeowner should consider getting the right kind of generator for supplying a premises wiring system.

GerryB

Backed up a 200 amp residential panel with a 3500 watt 240 volt honda generator (properly with innerlock). Fed it from the L-1430 outlet on the generator (2P, 4W). After troubleshooting, found that the breaker on the generator was tripping because of the GFI protection ( would trip with ground and netural landed, but when I took off the ground in the panel, didn't trip). Is it legal to feed the panel comming out of the L14-30 outlet on the generator with just 2 hots and a neutral (leave the ground disconnected)? Or is the breaker just being to sensitive?

Thanks
I would start the generator with nothing plugged in and check the 240 from the generator twist lock, then if ok I would plug my cord in and check the other end of the cord, then the power inlet box. Maybe you did all that. The only time I had that problem I had miswired one of those items.

kwired

Electron manager
The GFCI trip problem is simple - if neutral is bonded to EGC at the generator you can not connect the (generator) neutral and (generator) EGC together anywhere downstream, regardless of what code says or you will imbalance the GFCI and it will trip. Take that information into consideration when trying to figure out how to apply code.

FREEBALL

I installed about the same type of generator set up using the interlock in the past. The neutral and ground bond need separated to make it a NSDS. You need to keep in mind though, that the generator should not be used for other applications that require ground protection because the unit is now not compliant as far as the standard outlets on the generator.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I would check the product literature.

Yea, take a look at the manual it may show how to remove the ground/neutral bond in the generator some generators have a switch or I've heard of even a tab within the 120/240 volt receptacle that when a cord is inserted it separates the bond. You're gfi on the generator is tripping because of the parallel path current is returning to generator.

kwired

Electron manager
You're gfi on the generator is tripping because of the parallel path current is returning to generator.
Not because it is returning to the generator, but because the return current has more then one possible path and because of that not all the return current is passing through the GFCI. All the current is returning to its source (the generator) regardless.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not because it is returning to the generator, but because the return current has more then one possible path and because of that not all the return current is passing through the GFCI. All the current is returning to its source (the generator) regardless.
Rewrite that sentence as "...because of the of the parallel path [by which] current is returning to generator" and mopowr steve's statement becomes equivalent to yours. But without that change it can just easily be interpreted to mean just what you think it means. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.