Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: #8 THHN labor units

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    I think it is time for you to trust your own instincts. I have seen many of the questions you have asked and even a few private messages or the last couple of years. I am just not sure what your company structure is, what power you have to make decisions and whether you have people in your company to ask questions of. Remembering that the purpose of being in business is to make a profit, the price you should give is the price that is appropriate for ALL of the circumstances surrounding this issue. If it is a competitive bid the right amount is the amount that covers your overhead, and is JUST enough to be lower than the second competent bidder. If it is a negotiated customer that amount is again enough to cover overhead and reasonable profit. Usually higher than a low bid situation due to value added service, but not high enough to be taking advantage of the customer.

    All of that said, break it down. How much time to get the guys going. How long to set up a pull. How long to pull. How long to clean up. You are either going to be right or wrong.

    I do trust my instincts often. I bid and look at drawings all day everyday so in the grand scheme of things my questions on here pale in comparison compared to the decisions I make on a daily basis. There are times when I think an electricians feedback( MH forum guys in particular)will provide me with better insight to make an informed decision.

    So in this case with the very large number of #8's it will make a difference whether it'll take an aggressive 7 hours per thousand or 11 hours. I know what I use in a typical situation but this is not typical.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    5,500
    You sure it's not 8000 feet of wire? This will give you ~28.5 wire + 1 ground/ per pipe

    80000'/140'= 571.428

    5710428/2 per = 285.71 wires

    What am I missing, playing along at the house...
    If you are even thirsty, you are two quarts low.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by cadpoint View Post
    You sure it's not 8000 feet of wire? This will give you ~28.5 wire + 1 ground/ per pipe

    80000'/140'= 571.428

    5710428/2 per = 285.71 wires

    What am I missing, playing along at the house...
    Its 80,000 feet maybe even close to 100,000 when all said and done.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    I do trust my instincts often. I bid and look at drawings all day everyday so in the grand scheme of things my questions on here pale in comparison compared to the decisions I make on a daily basis. There are times when I think an electricians feedback( MH forum guys in particular)will provide me with better insight to make an informed decision.

    So in this case with the very large number of #8's it will make a difference whether it'll take an aggressive 7 hours per thousand or 11 hours. I know what I use in a typical situation but this is not typical.
    I am sorry when typing I left off the part where I said your instincts have been solid in the past, I think it was implied. But what I am saying is that there are many aspects that need to be looked at to change the labor and it is unlikely for you to list them all here, so my opinion, for example, would be based on generic information more than job specific. You know before you even ask the question that there are circumstances where changing the labor rate is warranted. Whether this is one of them only you would really know. Can a crew slam #8 at 7 hours per thousand, absolutely. Have you looked at Southwire wire in a barrel? With that quantity it might be worth paying the extra. That reduces labor. If you buy big reels and they are already set on a truck you can pull off of. Etc.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    I am sorry when typing I left off the part where I said your instincts have been solid in the past, I think it was implied. But what I am saying is that there are many aspects that need to be looked at to change the labor and it is unlikely for you to list them all here, so my opinion, for example, would be based on generic information more than job specific. You know before you even ask the question that there are circumstances where changing the labor rate is warranted. Whether this is one of them only you would really know. Can a crew slam #8 at 7 hours per thousand, absolutely. Have you looked at Southwire wire in a barrel? With that quantity it might be worth paying the extra. That reduces labor. If you buy big reels and they are already set on a truck you can pull off of. Etc.
    Ill check that out. Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •