Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Working Part Time

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ut
    Posts
    26

    Working Part Time

    I want to eventually get out of the trade and I am thinking about going back to school. I would like to work part time in the trade while I go to school since its what I know.

    However, I have never seen a job listing for a part time journeyman electrician and my current employer already told me to pound sand on the part time idea.

    So my questions for all contractors out there is:

    1. Would you ever consider hiring part time?

    2. Would you expect to pay an hourly rate lower than full time?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,148
    My son worked part time as a software developer and floor sweeper at a custom pump company.
    The boss paid part time employees a higher hourly rate because they had no benefits and were more likely to need the money.
    Not at all typical.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    346
    What do you want to study when you go back to school? Have you looked at night classes/ doing it online?

    If you do look into online programs. Stay away from for profit university s and look for a state where you live that offers distance education.

    Online programs can be hit and miss. I've had some that were just as good as seated classes and some that were a complete joke.

    Regardless......I would work full time, take online classes for humanity s English.... Etc, then transfer into the program for the core classes.

    I'd recommend automation and controls. It'll complement your electrical background.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA
    Posts
    346
    *state university

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by GLSA View Post

    However, I have never seen a job listing for a part time journeyman electrician and my current employer already told me to pound sand on the part time idea.
    If you want to work part time you may look into maintenance type work (still electrical).
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    1,474
    I would hire a part time worker if they have a good work ethic, punctual.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    933
    The only employer who would be likely to hire you for part-time work would be someone with a big multi-man gangbox job. On that kind of job, you would not be causing too much disruption if you left after a few hours. Forget about working on any kind of small or service job. The disruption of losing one man out of two or three would be insurmountable. Even on the big job, the foreman is going to have to put in additional planning to work around your schedule. Most employers won't be interested.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    196
    When you say part time, are you talking a couple hours every day or 2 or 3, 8 hour days per week, in my eyes that would make a big difference. I would like the idea of having a part time Journeyman that I could schedule for 2 or 3 days a week, not so much for 2 or 3 hours a day.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by eds View Post
    When you say part time, are you talking a couple hours every day or 2 or 3, 8 hour days per week, in my eyes that would make a big difference. I would like the idea of having a part time Journeyman that I could schedule for 2 or 3 days a week, not so much for 2 or 3 hours a day.
    Good point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ut
    Posts
    26
    What advice can you guys give about the reason I want to go to part time to the contractor? I do want to go back to school but the main reason I am leaving the trade is for health reasons. I can perform in the trade now but I fear if my health gets any worse that I will become useless and just get fired or a laid off constantly.

    I would like to be upfront but at the same time I feel if I am then a contractor would definitely pass me up.

    As far as the schedule goes I would take less money to have more flexibility on my end but I wouldn't mind working out somewhat of a set schedule each semester so the contractor could count on me being there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •