Receptacle overloaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I just had a customer text me this picture. He said he had an electric fireplace plugged into it. He says the nameplate on it says 120 volt 12.5 amps. It was plugged into a 15 amp receptacle on a 15 amp circuit. Any idea of why this plug melted? Just a faulty plug? He said the circuit never tripped.

How can a person 'text' a picture?

I have seen the same thing happen before, and the common denominator was space heaters.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The original SMS (short message service) for cell phones did not have a capability for file attachments. A modified texting protocol for smart phones added that function.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
No. Technically no one has. To use text as a verb the message sent must be in text, or 'written word'.

You may have sent a person a picture, but you didn't 'write' one.

Oh we now have the texting police ...He HEE He Heeeee:lol:

hurk27

Oh we now have the texting police ...He HEE He Heeeee:lol:

No he's just never discovered text pic's:

photo-1-200x300.png

How it was done in the old days LOL

[~]D how bout a cup of coffee;) from my old chat room days, all done with ASCII text.

I remember an old ACSII printer/typewriter that would do photos all in ASCII text. it was kind of amazing how it figured out which letters numbers and symbols to use. this was before dot matrixs printers came out.

Last edited:

Electric-Light

Wires are not secured to plug by screws. They're crimped. The fact that they're usually made in China or someone tripping on it can make it come loose.

Try a Federal Specifications rated industrial grade receptacle with a like quality plug-end. It takes a lot of force to push-in as well as pull out. It's best to use a metal box. It can pull the box out or the receptacle out of the box by stripping out the threads in plastic box. Sometimes, it will rip the prong out of Made in China phone chargers :lol:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=42524&minisite=10251

Status
Not open for further replies.