Emergency System For Outpatient Surgery Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently in the process of designing an emergency distribution system for an outpatient surgery center.

The system currently consists of a 200kW generator producing a 300A feeder terminating at a gutter. The gutter in turn feeds (3) separate breakers enclosures which go on to feed (3) separate transfer switchers (critical, life safety, equipment) My question is there any exception for the breakers associated with the emergency side of theses transfer switches to reside in the same enclosure? I would like to utilize a panelboard to feed the emergency side of these transfer switches if possible.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The exceptions include completely enclosed breakers (think big switchboards with drawout breakers), or separate vertical sections.

Separate vertical sections could be a motor control center (MCC) with the breakers in separate vertical sections. But either of these are probably overkill.

I hate the idea of having to use split bolts to splice wires in a gutter to avoid having breakers in the same enclosure. That doesn't sound as safe or reliable to me.

Two other options might be using a tap box, or getting 2 separate breakers on the generator, and running two feeders from the generator.

Thanks for the input. I was getting some push back from the contractor regarding the requirements so I was trying to see if there were any simpler ways but I think this is as good as it gets. I agree with you the idea of using a gutter to avoid using a common enclosure feels a bit unreliable. I would love it if I could use a panelboard with internal barriers but I'm afraid no one has something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.