Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scissor lifts and using a harness ???

Scissor lifts and using a harness ???

We have a scissor lift that goes up to 25 ft . It has 42" rails and we have never used a harness when working in it . Safety has started talking about making everyone use a harness if they are in the lift . Just wondered how many people out there are requiring harnesses while in a scissor lift ????

OSHA considers scissor lifts 'mobile scaffolding' and does not require the use of a harness in one.

That said some employers require it.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    OSHA considers scissor lifts 'mobile scaffolding' and does not require the use of a harness in one.

That said some employers require it.
    Most of the companies that we do business with would require a harness
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Most of the companies that we do business with would require a harness
    Glad I do not work there.

Very few of the locations we go will require that. Might as well require a harness on scaffolding.

Army Corps of Engineers work requires a harness while in a scissor lift per their safety guideline EM-385-1-1.

#PrudentPrePlannigPreventsPissPoorPerformance

Very few of the locations we go will require that. Might as well require a harness on scaffolding.
    It is not like it is a major hassle to wear your harness while on a lift. Some of them have a rule the harness is only required while the lift is in motion. Kind of pointless to be hooking up and dehooking. Might as well just hook up and leave it be.

I can't recall any that require it on scaffolding, but there might be some. I don't pay real close attention to such things since they do not affect me.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    It is not like it is a major hassle to wear your harness while on a lift.
    A bit of a hassle when the attachment point is at one end of an 8' platform and you want to work at the other. (And most lanyards are 6'.) That said, I'd grumble but do it anyway.

It's also a lot less hassle if you have a comfortable harness; I can wear mine all day and hardly notice.

I've worked several places where you are required to wear a harness while on scaffolding. The local phosphate mines require a harness if you are more than 4 feet off the ground. Silly since you would hit the ground before your lanyard got tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I've worked several places where you are required to wear a harness while on scaffolding. The local phosphate mines require a harness if you are more than 4 feet off the ground. Silly since you would hit the ground before your lanyard got tight.
    If they are enforcing a lanyard policy at 4' instead of requiring a retractable then they need to re-visit their fall protection plan. Nonsense, why bother.

#PrudentPrePlannigPreventsPissPoorPerformance

I think some of these places just don't want to deal with exceptions so they make blanket rules so people don't have to think about it.

One place I have been lately just installed some kind of restraint system so their operators could walk along the top of some equipment where it was impractical to put something safer. so now the operators have to wear their fall harnesses to do equipment inspections. The harness is attached to a cantilevered beam that kind of follows them around. I am not entirely sure just how it works since it appears the leashes they use for them are long enough that one could hit the ground before one got to the end of the leash but I have never seen them actually in use.
    Bob