Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Estimating Services

I think a couple of people here are missing Fulthrotl's point especially as it relates to the OP. This thread isn't supposed to be about a bad lighting submittal it is about contracting an estimator, and his point about that was BE CAREFUL. In my experience all estimates are wrong if you look at them a certain way. We just pray that the minus wrongs and the plus wrongs balance out.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

n my experience all estimates are wrong if you look at them a certain way. We just pray that the minus wrongs and the plus wrongs balance out.

Every estimate I've ever done, is exactly correct in my mind, or it doesn't leave the office.
    I would never go into a job praying.
    Which is to my point....if you can't estimate, how do you know the person you hired or contracted to do it is accurate?
    Every company I have ever worked for, the owner, the company administrators, the PM's, are ALL ex estimators

Quote Originally Posted by cdslotz View Post
    Every estimate I've ever done, is exactly correct in my mind, or it doesn't leave the office.
    I would never go into a job praying.
    Which is to my point....if you can't estimate, how do you know the person you hired or contracted to do it is accurate?
    Every company I have ever worked for, the owner, the company administrators, the PM's, are ALL ex estimators
    If that was the case you would be an exactimator. I assume you pay exactly what you use for you price fore every component, account perfectly for waste and lost time, etc. Of course you don't. I have been estimating for years. I still wonder, "Oh no, what did I miss?" when I get that call that says I landed one. I also think, "How could they possibly do it for that?" regularly when someone else beats me. I would be truly concerned if you were actually that sure of your estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    If that was the case you would be an exactimator. ​
    I don't think he meant they're correct to the penny, I think he was trying to say you don't send a bid out a cross your fingers that you're not at risk of sinking the company. That's how I took it at least, and I agree. I wouldn't send something out if I didn't think I had everything covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    I don't think he meant they're correct to the penny, I think he was trying to say you don't send a bid out a cross your fingers that you're not at risk of sinking the company. That's how I took it at least, and I agree. I wouldn't send something out if I didn't think I had everything covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nor did I mean that praying or "crossing your fingers" was because you didn't bother to put together a viable estimate, yet he wrote a response that was implying that was what I meant. In my fairly extensive experience, if you are sure you have everything covered, (as opposed to thinking so), then you are probably not going to win many jobs.