Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Estimating Services

Estimating Services

Can anyone recommend a good company that provides material takeoff and cost estimating for commercial electrical work? I am a smaller company and on the commercial side, do mostly service work and smaller new construction such as retail space build outs (1000-2000 sq ft). I'm getting more opportunities for larger retail and new restaurants which have more unique installations and want to proceed with care.

I've seen books at Barns and Noble. Even Dewalt has one on electrical estimating. We are all unique. Each of our companies have there own template that will need to be factored in. Your local supply house can help, too.

Estimating Services

Not something I've seen discussed here in a long time. I know there are services advertised online. I couldn't give you any recommendations other than to look for one with experience in your segment.

What restaurants are you looking to bid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    I know there are services advertised online.
    People are making a living just doing takeoffs? I am definitely doing something wrong.

#PrudentPrePlannigPreventsPissPoorPerformance

Quote Originally Posted by luckylerado View Post
    People are making a living just doing takeoffs? I am definitely doing something wrong.
    Google search electrical estimating services.

I've never really looked into it, but it could probably be cost-effective. Some of the projects I bid easily run into a couple thousand dollars of labor time. I'd say on average I've got $500 of labor in most bids.

GIGO (Or Not)

Don't forget that the quality of product you get back is only as good as the information you provide. The tighter the specs and drawings the more accurate the takeoff will be. If you get a napkin from the client don't expect spun gold from the estimator.

A contractor I worked for used one of these services. I know that on one job I was on a couple years ago (30-something floors of apartments) they somehow managed to miss the MI. According to the GF, and I heard all this from him directly about 6 months after the job was finished, the contractor had to eat it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jmo103 View Post
    A contractor I worked for used one of these services. I know that on one job I was on a couple years ago (30-something floors of apartments) they somehow managed to miss the MI. According to the GF, and I heard all this from him directly about 6 months after the job was finished, the contractor had to eat it all.
    Depending on the extent of the "miss", that could easily bankrupt you. A job that large should have required submittals from the contractor before proceeding. Is that where they caught it?

Quote Originally Posted by jmo103 View Post
    Sounds pretty nuts to not review the take-off in-house, especially on something of that scope.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Depending on the extent of the "miss", that could easily bankrupt you. A job that large should have required submittals from the contractor before proceeding. Is that where they caught it?

I was told it was 6 figures. In his words, it "was a loser before we started." The whole job became damage control for him. Not sure when they caught it.