210.8(D) GFCI/Dishwasher Reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

Sooo, does everyone sort of agree there is no need for gfci protection for a dishwasher? Also, why not for wet bar refer then as well ?

kwired

Electron manager
Sooo, does everyone sort of agree there is no need for gfci protection for a dishwasher? Also, why not for wet bar refer then as well ?

Many of us don't believe GFCI is necessary for a dishwasher, even if cord and plug connected. I don't see the requirement going away though no matter how good of a proposal may be submitted to remove such requirement.

The wet bar - something tells me this just was just overlooked and all dishwashers will be included in 2017 NEC, at least in dwellings.

I still think if units starting fires are the reason, it should still be addressed by listing requirements and manufacturing changes, not by changing installation code requirements. If there were a high number of shock or electrocution incidents with these dishwashers then I wouldn't have an issue with GFCI requirements, shock and electrocution hazards are what GFCI's are for.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
No, the fact there are more electronics is not what is increasing the risk.

The crappy wiring methods and designs used by manufacturers are what is increasing the risk.

This is clearly a case of the manufacturers trying to force the homeowner to pick up the slack from poorly designed equipment.
Sounds like a proposal for CMP 17 and Article 422. Did you submit it?

Cletis

Can anyone lead me to a link of who made the proposals and who voted on them and who voted yeah or nah? I'd like to see if there is some bias in this ruling

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
No, the fact there are more electronics is not what is increasing the risk.

The crappy wiring methods and designs used by manufacturers are what is increasing the risk.

This is clearly a case of the manufacturers trying to force the homeowner to pick up the slack from poorly designed equipment.

Took the thoughts right out of my head. The harness connectors for one are so poor coupled with moisture that overheating/shorting is not an abnormal failure mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.