Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: half switched receptacle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    brooklyn, new york
    Posts
    147

    half switched receptacle

    Is half switched receptacle can be feed from two different load.
    From lighting load and room receptacle load.
    What is your opinion on this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    17,493
    I've never supplied receptacles from a load. I supply them from the circuit.

    But can you split a duplex with two circuits? Yes. You just need to make sure the two circuits have a common disconnect.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    brooklyn, new york
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    I've never supplied receptacles from a load. I supply them from the circuit.

    But can you split a duplex with two circuits? Yes. You just need to make sure the two circuits have a common disconnect.
    I meant with the circuit. I guess I'm working to much.
    The thing is, I argued with other PM that you can supply half switched receptacle from two different circuit.
    Thank you for your respond.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    I've never supplied receptacles from a load. I supply them from the circuit.

    But can you split a duplex with two circuits? Yes. You just need to make sure the two circuits have a common disconnect.
    What code section is that? I've never seen a handle tie or common disco to split receptacles, tho most I work on were installed 30+ years ago. Come to think of it, I dont think we did that on the last house we wired (oops?).
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by michalspike View Post
    I meant with the circuit.
    It is not you, it is 480, he has a hard time being nice.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    What code section is that? I've never seen a handle tie or common disco to split receptacles, tho most I work on were installed 30+ years ago. Come to think of it, I dont think we did that on the last house we wired (oops?).
    In the 2008 it is 210.7(B).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    In the 2008 it is 210.7(B).
    Thank you. Yep, we (and the inspector) missed that one.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    17,493
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    What code section is that? I've never seen a handle tie or common disco to split receptacles, tho most I work on were installed 30+ years ago. Come to think of it, I dont think we did that on the last house we wired (oops?).
    For quite a while, the common-disconnect rule applied only to dwellings. However, it's applies everywhere now. I'm not sure when it changed.


    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    It is not you, it is 480, he has a hard time being nice.
    Some folks just don't have a sense of humor.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    60,020
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Thank you. Yep, we (and the inspector) missed that one.
    No problem and none of us know all the code.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Branson, Missouri
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    No problem and none of us know all the code.
    I am certainly among those ranks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •