Triplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Can you link to some for overhead use?

What I see here is only marked XLPE and no listing.

My post was about the underground triple rated triplex and quadruplex, I was not speaking about the overhead variety as my previous post was this...

This was dons response:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19
Many code authorities do not accept tri or quadplex cables as they are not listed and not of one of the insulation types shown in 310.104. Check with your AHJ before installing it.

My response...."However...many of the Triplex and Quadruplex are tripled rated with an insulation type shown in 310.104. Just depends on the manufacturer i guess."

You assumed I was speaking about overhead triplex.....which is why I originally posted in the first place, their is overhead and underground triplex as it is called my many manufacturers....
:jawdrop:

Ok...I accept your apology...tthhehehehehehhe:sick:

Last edited:

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
The cable does have to meet or exceed all of these ASTM standards..but alas I am still trying to learn all of them daily.

? B-230 Aluminum Wire, 1350-H19 for Electrical Purposes.
? B-231 Aluminum Conductors, Concentric-Lay-Stranded.
? B-232 Aluminum Conductors, Concentric-Lay-Stranded, Coated Steel Reinforced(ACSR).
? B-399 Stranded 6201-T81 Aluminum Alloy Conductors.
? B-901 Compressed Round Stranded Aluminum Conductors Using Single Input Wire.

Life used to reside just in the NEC, but with new horizons come new standards to learn.:slaphead:

But you are correct iwire, (and hope you don't mind my joking about it), you would not find a listed overhead service drop cable (if you are actually looking for a listing) but you will find it for the triplex and quadruplex for underground use for more than just URD applications these days that is listed and saves money to just triple rate a product now versus individually rate it.

But if one every (overhead) gets listed...you will be the first I let know:angel:

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO

Also I figured I should mention this.....when we produce XHHW-2 (or XHHW) it is the exact same XLPE that we use in the overhead. The insulation makeup is exactly the same, the only difference is we print XHHW on the product for interior use....in fact, if we wanted (and did not want to change the printer) we could print XHHW-2 on all of it...overhead or not.

We just choose not to...saves ink....and time which equals money saved.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... Where in my previous post did I say Tri or Quad for overhead was to be inside the building? ...
I don't understand. Are you suggesting the the non-listed overhead drop conductors are are suitable for use in NEC applications where the cable is installed outside of buildings?

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Forget it...not worth the effort to explain it YET AGAIN....

Well...I will...lol...

Original response was to JUST let the OP know that when he goes to buy the Triplex or Quadruplex that it is sold in overhead and underground. Obviously he wanted overhead but was just making a point to clarify so that he gets what he wants from the supply house....NOTHING MORE........Sorry I even made the comment.

The additional information was based on a response and since I bought up underground triplex and so on just elaborated on that fact......but I promise you...it will never happen again......:slaphead:

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
I don't understand. Are you suggesting the the non-listed overhead drop conductors are are suitable for use in NEC applications where the cable is installed outside of buildings?
No I think you are trying to have me say that. the overhead products made in the specs I provided are for AA 1350 AL which is not permitted per 310.106(B).

UGH....nevermind:angel:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sometimes it's amazing to see the lengths some folks will go to to keep from tasting a little crow :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No I think you are trying to have me say that. the overhead products made in the specs I provided are for AA 1350 AL which is not permitted per 310.106(B).

UGH....nevermind:angel:
Was not trying to have you say anything...the meaning of the post I quoted was just not clear to me. I still have no idea of what the words that I quoted were trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.