basic wiring app

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea79

Is there an app out there that would walk me through basic wiring and troubleshooting? I haven't found anything that will help so far so I thought I would try here for ideas.
I am currently working my way through my second apprenticeship and still feel I don't know anything in terms of actually electricity, well job related electricity at least. Both programs I've attended like to teach AC and DC theory which gives a great background but so far I have yet to fully learn how to run a simple lighting circuit. I've been in the trade for 8 years. That's embarrassing.
Most of my experience (95% or so) has been on the industrial side which may account for some of the problem. If I had chosen to take more residential/commercial jobs earlier in my career I probably wouldn't be in this situation right now. In my defense I was young and wanted the money industrial work offered.
Even babbling though. The point it I want to change my situation and I'm having trouble finding consistant help from coworkers, school, and just time in genreal to study. This is why an app would help. I could jump on phone when I had time throughout the day, but still would be able to leave quickly if I needed to.

Any ideas? Is there such an option out there?

growler

Is there an app out there that would walk me through basic wiring and troubleshooting?

I doubt if you are going to find anything like what you are looking for. The electrical field is much to broad to contain in an app.

If you wish to narrow your goal to say basic residential wiring there are plenty of books that could walk you through a simple wiring project.

Pharon

Is there an app out there that would walk me through basic wiring and troubleshooting?
Yep. It's called the Mike Holt Forum. Post your question, your attempted solution, and absorb everyone's input.

keith gigabyte

I agree with Pharon. I have 22 years in the trade. most in heavy industry; electrical maintenance and retrofit. I feel I know process control and vfd's very well. commercial not so much and residential pretty good; been in residential on the side 15 years; just recently starting my own resi contracting.

This site is great; lots of input and people wiling to share their opinion and expertise. I like the electrical industry because it is so broad and always something new to learn.

Just yesterday I had a service call at a residence for no lights in a bedroom..found low voltage lighting controls throughout house. Main command center type switch panel near front door and each room had its own switch; with relays located in basement. This house was built in 1957 I guess it was the home automation of the time.

kwired

Electron manager
Electrical theory doesn't change between residential, commercial and heavy industrial. The things that are different are items commonly used, and even then there are still some items that are fairly common in each of those applications.

Knowledge of some common failures of specific equipment is something that helps speed troubleshooting out as you may know to check certain things out first from past experiences. Otherwise basic theory still should help you. Something doesn't work .. one basic first thing to check with almost anything is to see if you have proper voltage being supplied.

cadpoint

Google is your best friend. If there is something you want to learn how to do, just type the question into google.

If I might add to this; use Image in Google and type, diagram _______ (insert subject when ever you want to see a drawing or technical illustration)

keith gigabyte

I'm having no trouble at all with the troubleshooting residential. Its more a ohh they make that thing? for residential applications since most of my exposure to resi is self taught. Ask me how to run 200 feet of conduit in an industrial setting Yea you need some right angle bean clamps, strut straps, myers hubs..etc..but I did not know that track lighting had ends with 1/2" ko's available..those are the things I like this site about.

ok enough rambling

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
....Just yesterday I had a service call at a residence for no lights in a bedroom..found low voltage lighting controls throughout house. Main command center type switch panel near front door and each room had its own switch; with relays located in basement. This house was built in 1957 I guess it was the home automation of the time.
GE R-77 or R-7 I can't rember for sure. Those are a great system. You can still get parts amazingly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.