Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MI PSI Practice Exam Question

MI PSI Practice Exam Question

Hey everyone,

My apprentice is about to take his Journeyman's test this Thursday through PSI. He got a question wrong on his PSI Practice Test and asked me for input. I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't see how they came up with their answer.

Q: What is the motor nameplate FLA rating for a 5 HP single-phase motor, 230 volt with an efficiency rating of 95% and a power factor of 90%?

A: 8 amps
    B: 16amps
    C: 19amps
    D: 25amps

My apprentice chose the answer D, but the correct answer is C according to the practice test. Can anyone explain the formulas needed to come up with the answer? Any help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Padilla616 View Post
    Hey everyone,

My apprentice is about to take his Journeyman's test this Thursday through PSI. He got a question wrong on his PSI Practice Test and asked me for input. I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't see how they came up with their answer.

Q: What is the motor nameplate FLA rating for a 5 HP single-phase motor, 230 volt with an efficiency rating of 95% and a power factor of 90%?

My apprentice chose the answer D, but the correct answer is C according to the practice test. Can anyone explain the formulas needed to come up with the answer? Any help would be appreciated!
    5 HP is 3.73 kW or 3730W. The factor is 0.746.
    Divide that by the pf and efficiency and you get 4363 VA
    Divide that by 230 V to get Amps.
    About 18.97A
    So call it 19A.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Hey everyone,

The question makes no sense.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Hey everyone,

Are you certain the question and answers are correct? I don't think the correct answer is listed. From a code standpoint the info about the PF and the efficiency is irrelevant and is just part of the question to confuse you. The code would require the use of Table 430.248 which would be 28 amps.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    I just Googled a couple 5hp motors and checked the nameplates. One had an FLA of 22, the other 25 at 230 volts.

Besoeker's math makes total sense to me. I don't understand where the NEC came up with 28 amps.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I just Googled a couple 5hp motors and checked the nameplates. One had an FLA of 22, the other 25 at 230 volts.

Besoeker's math makes total sense to me.
    Ok I guess that makes sense: its more of an electrical calculation question not an NEC question. I still think it is a horrible question to put on an electricians test because it would never be calculated that way. IT should have some wording to distinguish it from an NEC question.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Ok I guess that makes sense: its more of an electrical calculation question not an NEC question. I still think it is a horrible question to put on an electricians test because it would never be calculated that way. IT should have some wording to distinguish it from an NEC question.
    I think that 'FLA' should not be part of the question. Instead why not just ask what the current draw of the motor under a full load would be? The only reason I could think would be that somewhere in the course, 'FLA' was defined in a different manner than standard use.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

All together the question did not make much sense to me, but I've never actually had to make that calculation before. Thanks for the quick replies and feedback!

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I don't understand where the NEC came up with 28 amps.
    The NEC is generous with amp ratings in the tables in 430 because FLA can vary between motors of the same horsepower and conditions of use vary greatly. If everything but the overload rating gets sized for worst case scenario then a motor can be swapped out with no danger to the premise wiring.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

FLA calculation

Hey everyone,

Mike Holt covers this in a video called Motor Nameplate Full Load Amps. the formula is

(1x746)/(ExEFFxPF)