Interesting duplex receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
AFAIK that was a common receptacle in the older days and is rated at 120V 15A.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
For a non residential calc according to 220.14(I), would that device be counted as 180VA or 360VA?

I read the section but am not sure. I want to say 180VA.
I see that device as 360VA.
(I) Receptacle Outlets. Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 voltamperes
for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke. A single piece of equipment consisting of a multiple receptacle comprised of four or more receptacles shall be calculated at not less than 90 volt-amperes per receptacle. This provision shall not be applicable to the receptacle outlets specified in 210.11(C)(1) and (C)(2).

jumper

I see that device as 360VA.

I saw that, but I wondered about this:

180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple
receptacle on one yoke.

We calculate a duplex as 180VA since it is on one yoke and this particular device seemed to fit both descriptions.

I looked at the HB and it agrees with you.

Double duplex receptacle 360 VA (180 x 2)

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I saw that, but I wondered about this:

180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple
receptacle on one yoke.

We calculate a duplex as 180VA since it is on one yoke and this particular device seemed to fit both descriptions.

I looked at the HB and it agrees with you.
Does that really mean 180 for the yoke or does it mean 180 for each receptacle on that yoke? The wording you quoted is technically ambiguous on that point.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Does that really mean 180 for the yoke or does it mean 180 for each receptacle on that yoke? The wording you quoted is technically ambiguous on that point.
If it said per yoke or per set of multiple receptacles on one yoke it would be clear that it was capped at 180 or even 90.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.