UL508A Question "Is a neutral bar considered a bus bar?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

Section 29 discusses "Internal Wiring" 29.1.1 states that "All internal wiring conductors or bus bars shall be made of copper." If I have a neutral bar, which all conductive parts that could potentially become live are connected to so as to bond to the equipment grounding conductor, would this neutral bar be considered a bus bar?

Would the neutral bar need to be copper in order to comply with UL 508A?

fifty60

It is UL48 A/B. I know where the equipment grounding conductor actually lands needs to be UL467. Here is a link to the Ilsco neutral bar I am looking at:

http://www.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCat...k=2100001183:3100012157:3100012384:3100013037

This is the neutral bar that the conductive and accessible parts will bond through the the UL467 terminal holding the equipment grounding conductor. Does this neutral bar need to be copper according to section 29? Or, is that only referring to bus bars that will normally be current carrying?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If that's the specific Neutral bar you are using, why are you worried about it? It's copper.

But to answer your question, that would be considered no different than a splitter block. It's a long multi-wire terminal block, not a conductor per se. I've used even the aluminum ones hundreds of times in UL508A listed panels, never even had it questioned by UL inspectors.

fifty60

Ah, the aluminum version is not listed there. It is the aluminum version of the NBAE.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If that's the specific Neutral bar you are using, why are you worried about it? It's copper.

But to answer your question, that would be considered no different than a splitter block. It's a long multi-wire terminal block, not a conductor per se. I've used even the aluminum ones hundreds of times in UL508A listed panels, never even had it questioned by UL inspectors.

Lots of people have. But take a close look at the supplement and you may find yourself wondering if that is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.